Installation for Dummies

Lynn Ross

Dec 18, 2013, 9:07:49 PM12/18/13
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm in the process of starting a timebank and am planning to use OSCurrency software. Are there any detailed installation instructions, geared to people who aren't already familiar with Ruby on Rails and Heroku? If not, do those of you with experience think a smart, somewhat computer savvy person could learn to install and maintain the software, at least long enough to get the time bank going? My only programming experience was with GW Basic back in the olden days, but I taught myself pretty quickly. (Oh, and a little HTML too)

Any guidance would be helpful, including any sources for learning the basics of Ruby on Rails. Thanks!

Lynn

Tom Brown

Dec 19, 2013, 10:31:48 AM12/19/13
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
hi lynn,

yes, the idea of the heroku installation is to have an easy deployment option.  the heroku install was recently rewritten so that the same script could also be used for updating the deployment with the latest code.  git and ruby 1.9.3 need to be installed.  the steps are now:

cd oscurrency
bundle install
rake heroku:install

it takes the script a while to run.  if you run into a problem with these instructions, don't hesitate to file a github issue at https://github.com/oscurrency/oscurrency/issues.