Looking for info on how to set up OSCurrency

Rob Young

Mar 25, 2011, 12:26:20 PM3/25/11
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I've been looking into your project for a local organization here in Ottawa who is looking to set up a skills exchange.  I am trying to set it up on an ubuntu pc as a demo, but am running into some issues, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers.  Here are m q's:

* What version of ruby and ruby on rails should I be using?
* Can I run all of this stuff locally, or do I need to set up an S3 and heroku account?  It would be nice if I could run everything locally, as I believe that's what they would like to do eventually and I imagine it isn't that resource intensive.

Overall, it looks like a neat package.  I'm a software developer, but have never done any Ruby before, so I'm a little in the dark with this stuff.

Regards,
Rob Y

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Mar 25, 2011, 1:22:24 PM3/25/11
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com, Rob Young
hi rob,

no worries. just about every software developer installing oscurrency has little to no ruby experience.

ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.3.11 are the versions.

it is generally easy to set up without heroku but you will need a few minor code changes to serve images from the filesystem instead of S3.  however, heroku will save you a lot of time in maintaining your system with all of the free services it provides.

as of 4 weeks ago, memcache was added to the groupy branch and this makes a huge difference in performance.  only parts of the system are using it now but more code will use it in the near future.

jump on #oscurrency on freenode irc or you can contact me at herestomwiththeweather on gtalk if you like.

cheers,
tom

Rob Young

Mar 25, 2011, 1:49:24 PM3/25/11
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com, HeresTomWithTheWeather
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tips!  I'm at work now, but I'll try to get in contact with you in the near future, probably over gtalk.  I believe you about Heroku, however I just want to evaluate it on my local PC right now before commiting to a heroku account.

Thanks again,
Rob