Capo chords view

Ian Wanden

Apr 20, 2021, 12:38:49 AM4/20/21
to OpenSongApp
High Gareth, I haven't made any suggestions for a couple of years so I'm probably well overdue.

I commonly use capo to make some songs work in their original keys when I cant play the original chords (long story involving my chord hand and a power saw). I was recently using the app and showing it off to another musician and thought I would show him the chords used in the song we were playing. The song was in b but I was using capo on 3 to play in G. When I opened the chords it was still showing the chords as if playing in  b . Would it be hard to make them point to the capo chords on a song if selected?

Gareth Evans

Apr 20, 2021, 2:38:59 AM4/20/21
to Ian Wanden, OpenSongApp
Hi Ian, that feature is already there!
The song itself should be set to Bb and that's what will show in the edit song page.    Make sure in the edit page you've set the capo to fret 3.
Then in the right hand options menu, open the chords category and you'll see options at the bottom to change what you see

If you turn off capo chords, the app displays the native (i.e. Bb chords).  If you switch capo chords on, you'll see the chords in G with a capo note at the top right of the screen.
You can also get it to display both sets of chords together.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021, 05:38 Ian Wanden, <ian.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
High Gareth, I haven't made any suggestions for a couple of years so I'm probably well overdue.

I commonly use capo to make some songs work in their original keys when I cant play the original chords (long story involving my chord hand and a power saw). I was recently using the app and showing it off to another musician and thought I would show him the chords used in the song we were playing. The song was in b but I was using capo on 3 to play in G. When I opened the chords it was still showing the chords as if playing in  b . Would it be hard to make them point to the capo chords on a song if selected?

Screenshot_20210420-073409_OpenSongApp.jpg
Screenshot_20210420-073803_OpenSongApp.jpg
Screenshot_20210420-073255_OpenSongApp.jpg

Ian Wanden

Jul 26, 2021, 12:57:27 AM7/26/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth you replied back to this via mail on 5/5 with the following "Ah, with you now!  I actually thought that it did do that, as I've definitely looked into that in the past.  I'll have a look to see what I can do." Have you been able to figure it out?

Gareth Evans

Jul 26, 2021, 6:32:46 AM7/26/21
to Ian Wanden, OpenSongApp
Not yet Ian.  I did find a 'note to self' in the code, but that was about it!  It is on my feature list for the massively updated app that I've been working on for the best part of a year now and will definitely be in that.
Other than bug fixes and code from others, I'm trying to avoid bringing in new features in to the current app as is have to write the code twice (the updated app will work in a more efficient way).  Chord display is the next bit of code I'm working on (just finishing off the set management stuff and links at the moment).

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the app!

Best wishes,
Gareth

Ian Wanden

Aug 1, 2021, 6:54:39 PM8/1/21
to OpenSongApp
Gareth happy to wait friend. I am amazed just how far you've taken this project since the early versions.

Gareth Evans

Aug 15, 2021, 2:16:11 PM8/15/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi Ian,

Still working on the new version of the app, but I've now finished the chord display part and happy to report that I've added your feature request as shown in the screenshots.

Garethnativechords.pngcapochords.png