Foot pedals and OpenSongApp

Gareth Evans

Aug 11, 2022, 11:51:21 AM8/11/22
to OpenSongApp
Hi all,

Based on a recent thread and the fact that I'm updating the website in preparation for the new version of the app, I'd really appreciate any feedback on page turner foot pedals that people use successfully with the app.  Please also include any quirks or issues you have with them running in the app.  Even better if you can attach a photo or a link to a web photo of the exact pedal model.  Conversely, if you have a pedal that doesn't work, please also let us know!

For info, version 6 of the app will also include support for MIDI Bluetooth pedals that can send keyboard notes (e.g. C3).

To start off, I know that homemade pedals using Arduino/ESP32/BlueFruit boards all work fine (although some have issues with the long press function - I think I've fixed this in v6 now though!).

Lekato wireless page turner (I think this is the same as a Cuvave or M-Vave pedal although would like to hear from others).  The only issue seems to be that you need to set it to iOS mode rather than Android to send key events for the app.

I'd really appreciate any other pedal user (AirTurn, PageFlip or other) users letting us know the status of your pedals!

Sarah Dab

Aug 23, 2022, 5:16:29 PM8/23/22
to OpenSongApp
I use a Donner Foot Pedal.
Which can also be found as the Strich bluetooth page turner.
Both available for a good price on Alibaba.

The left and right foot switches can emulate left and right arrow keys, page up/down, left and right mouse clicks, or the space and enter keys depending on the mode.
It supports short and long presses.  Pedals are silent in operation.

It has a rechargeable internal battery that lasts a long time with a charge/connected LED that also indicates when it needs charge.

A downside is that the mode buttons in the middle of the device can be pressed if you 'miss' a pedal.  I warmed up and removed the plastic cover in the middle and cut (at the thin part) the plastic button levers found below except one and put the cover back on.  This gives a single mode pedal that is totally reliable.  Very happy users for 2 years.

I have tried an AirTurn Ped Pro...

I cannot recommend this as pedal press is a hit and miss with the device needing a solid surface and strong pedal press to work.  For me, it is not reliable enough for performance.

It arrives in a mode that requires the 'Airturn' mode to be used in opensongapp for long press.  For technical reasons, this gives slow detection of short press if setup to detect long press.

So poor pedal response, can be slow and is quite expensive.  It is a 'No' for me.

Hopefully some useful information.

Sarah

Mike Porter

Aug 24, 2022, 10:03:34 AM8/24/22
to Sarah Dab, OpenSongApp
I have the same pedal, bearing a "coda" brand. Mine has plugs to connect external pedals. While that adds cost, it also allows you to separate the control box from the pedals, which would also eliminate the problem.

Either way, 100% agree, this is an amazing pedal.

--
When responding to a post on the forum using your email, please make sure to click on the 'Reply all' button so that your response is also sent to the forum for other people to see the full conversation.
---

Stanley Gill

Aug 24, 2022, 11:12:19 AM8/24/22
to Mike Porter, Sarah Dab, OpenSongApp
I have been using the AirTurn Duo for years with your app. Since I only use it to advance to the next song on my song list and to start the scroll, I really don’t worry about short or long press. It links up with my DragonTouch K10 tablet quickly and is ready to go immediately. So no problems here (as long as I can remember to start the scroll. The guys in my band hate it when I forget, because then all four of us are scrolling manually until I remember, and if I remember and hit “start” in the middle of a tune, all four tablets jump back up to the top. Not your problem. Mine. smh)
Stan

Sent from my iPhone

James

Jul 13, 2023, 4:43:48 PM7/13/23
to OpenSongApp
I recently bought this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQ96MYV on Amazon Prime and so far it is working as I expect. But I have not really put it through all the paces. So far only configured previous/next page, scroll, stop. For the price I am very pleased with it.

Mark Hurst

Jul 20, 2023, 5:46:40 AM7/20/23
to OpenSongApp
I have been using an AirTurn PEDpro for a couple of years now, but only yesterday ordered an Airturn Duo to replace it. The PEDpro, as mentioned by another user above, has really crap "soft" switches, which require an accurate hard press in just the right spot to operate. If on carpet, unit just sinks into the pile and an even harder press is needed. As I use it to scroll/turm pages this can be most offputting for the performer, getting to the bottom of a page and frantically trying to press the button to scroll the page. I think the new Airturn 500 will do the trick nicely.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike & Alison Elliott

Jul 26, 2023, 11:52:21 AM7/26/23
to Reindeer Studio, OpenSongApp
This group is for the application OpenSongApp. OpenSongApp does not run on iOS devices.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 at 09:39, Reindeer Studio <reindee...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just recently bought the Lekato wireless page turner footpedal and it works with my ipad air 2 (ios 15.7) with onsong pro 2020 but not with my ipad pro 2021 (ios 16.5) and onsong pro 2020.
It wil pair but it seems no program responds to the signals. The same on my iphone (model 13). No solution found for it. I installed also de CubeSuite and it seems to do something (i can control de soundlevel of the ipad pro) but thats all.

The device itself is small but sturdy and the knobs are noisy.