Stage Mode

Alistair Baty

Jul 16, 2021, 1:18:45 PM7/16/21
to OpenSongApp
I am using Stage Mode for facilitating worship without an Audio/Visual crew. It is great to be able to play and toggle the projector slides using my BT Pedal.

Control of the set is not easy thigh, or I may be missing something.

I want to be able to Up/Down in a song (presenting each verse on the projector as you do so), but then go to the Next/Previous song in the set at anytime.

  1. Assigning a pedal to Next go to the Next "block" or slide to protect that. Which makes sense. Even though in other App modes it goes to the next Song. (Same goes for Previous)
  2. Swipe does not seem to work for me to get to the next song either as it interprets that as NEXT and just goes to the next sequenced slide.
  3. Assigning a pedal to Scroll Down does just that and scrolls down on the screen to see lyrics further down the Song without changing the projected slide. I suppose that might be useful, but
  4. The Only way to get to the next song is to get to the bottom of the chord chart in OpenSong and then it will go to the Next Song. (I use that wording specifically, because I do not repeat Choruses in my charts, so the end of most songs is in the middle of the text for me)
  5. The other way is to open the set list and select the next some which is not very hands free.
It would be helpful if you could move to the next (or previous) song from everywhere.

I usually expect a four bottom pedal should default to the following: (for two buttons long presses can be used for Left/Right, or using the setting to go to the Next sing when you are at the bottom of the Chart)
  1. Up = Up the screen on a chart in Performance Mode or to Previous slide in Stage Mode
  2. Down = Down the screen on a chart in Performance Mode or to Next slide in Stage Mode
  3. Left = Previous song in all Modes, Back
  4.  Right = Next Song in all Modes, Forwards
"Scrolling the view" may still be useful to those of us who need that in certain applications. But having a unique pedal assignment would avoid departing from the Up,Down,Left,Right default expectation.

Please let me know if there are already current methods of going to the Next Song with a BT pedal or gesture in Stage Mode. I am using or tomorrow morning...

If anyone had other ideas.p that is always helpful too.

Gareth Evans

Jul 16, 2021, 5:23:12 PM7/16/21
to Alistair Baty, OpenSongApp
Hi Alistair,

I've not used my pedal with stage mode for a while, but what I think it was supposed to do with 2 pedals set to previous/next but with scroll if possible switched on should move through the sections one at a time and then skip to the next song once you get to the bottom.  If not, then I've done something stupid!

Sarah Dab

Aug 16, 2021, 9:04:24 AM8/16/21
to OpenSongApp
I too use Stage mode for projecting presentation mode style lyrics - for others using opensongapp ,  turning off chords display in 'Connected Display' to get this.

My 2 button pedal is configured for short press  scroll down / scroll next, long press next song / prev song.

I have pedal options
'Toggle scroll before Next/Previous song - ON
'Show a warning before moving to the next song...' ON

The 'Toggle scroll' options makes short or (accidental) long press in the body of a song move a section (very safe no accidental move to another song!)
To change song a long press at the bottom gives a warning, a second long press a little later then changes song. (very safe no accidental move to another song!)

I also have sticky notes displayed as a section at the bottom (a sticky notes option) - if you move to this section you get 'no lyrics' displayed at the end of a song.

I use 'Presentation' order to get songs top to bottom in the order needed (bottom is then always the end) - if it is a 'special' order I make a song variation for that set.

For the 'connected display' I set a short slide transition time of 0.2s.

On the tablet I can see the previous, current and next sections.  With a little practice I can now change to the next section ahead of 'playing need' in in order to have it displayed for 'presentation need' - people need the words ahead of time.

I use the tablet with an HDMI cable connected to the projector - Chromecast is a risk I do not want when I am doing it all!

I use pads too - so do all I can to ensure I never accidentally change songs.

With keep pad on ON and keep metronome on ON (visual only)...

I start the pad using an on-screen button, observe the metronome for timing, go through the song top to bottom (maybe skip down to shorten). At the bottom move to next song (with handy auto pad change) and repeat.  At end of songs I stop the pad using an on-screen button.

To split songs up into smaller sections I use '||', the opensong slide split indicator, on lyric lines positioned after the last chord.  That way I display only a few lines (as people expect).

[V]
.G
 Here is a first line
.G              C                G
 Here is a lyric line      ||
.G
 Here is another line
.G
 And another

Gives 2 Verse sections with 2 lines in each.

For those without a sound crew too -  I use a TC-Helicon Play Acoustic which takes guitar, microphone and pad sound from the tablet and then allows me to process and mixing the output - a XLR line to a sound system set up (simply) for a nice room sound is then used.

Having things top to bottom using presentation order certainly helps me and may help you.

Sorry for the ramble.

welcome to the 'I do it all' mode!