[feature request] Export song improvement

Andy Hon

Mar 8, 2023, 9:08:37 AM3/8/23
to OpenSongApp
Dear Gareth and dev team!
I know I'd request a large modification to the app, but it's urgely needed to Export songs easily.
1. Ability to add "Export song" action button, e.g. to page buttons list.
2. Feature to export song as .png image, exactly as seen on display.
Currently we use "print" on desktop Opensong PC to print song images and send them to our telegram/kakaotalk chat.
As a workaround I make a screenshot of the song and crop it, erasing phone notification bar in Gallery. It would be great to have this function built-in OpensongApp...

Thank you for your attention and hard work!

Gareth Evans

Mar 8, 2023, 3:52:26 PM3/8/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
How does this look?  Currently added to beta 10 (not released yet).  The old method in v5 was terrible and relied on full screen scaling and often resulted in crashes.  It also used the current theme which if printing made the black ink run out quickly!  The new method creates an image by using pdf formatting.  It also adds a nice song sheet header.
In addition to creating a page button, I've also set it as a possible screen gesture option (double tap/long press)

 share1.png
share2.png
Love everlasting.png

--
When responding to a post on the forum using your email, please make sure to click on the 'Reply all' button so that your response is also sent to the forum for other people to see the full conversation.
---

Andy Hon

Mar 9, 2023, 8:47:05 AM3/9/23
to OpenSongApp
If the resulting exported images would be shown like that, it would be awesome.
Can't wait to test beta 10 😄

Gareth Evans

Mar 9, 2023, 12:41:03 PM3/9/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
That's is exactly how the exported image would look - basically the same as a pdf but on one (long) page   This only works for OpenSong formatted songs obviously

Merja Liukkonen

Mar 10, 2023, 1:17:22 AM3/10/23
to Gareth Evans, Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
Hi!

For me it look fantastic! Ability to get More than one format is great! Just wating for  beta 10 now. Great Job!

Blessings, Merja Liukkonen

Andy Hon

Mar 11, 2023, 9:32:55 PM3/11/23
to OpenSongApp
Dear Gareth!
Thank you for releasing beta10.
I've tested the requested features and encountered some bugs 🙂

1. Transpose the song.
Works fluently while invoking the transpose function from action bar.
But app crashes when invoking the same transpose menu from Settings>Song actions>Chords>Transpose...
Transposition got to be changed before app crash. When I open the app again, transposition of the last song is changed.
filewriteactivity.log seems to be normal.
I attached the video and log file.

2. Transpose in set only doesn't work.
When trying to transpose in set only, transposition doesn't change.
Video attached.

3. Exporting songs with long text - part of the song is cropped off.
When trying to export a long song, part of the text is being cropped off and lost. PDF and PNG contain the same cropped part.
Attached the long song example file, png and pdf.

4. Also regarding export to Image...
App seems to place the image in 1/4 part of the screen. The other 3/4 is blank. Resulting image is too large and needs to be cropped manually.
I've noticed it in every song and even in your example ("Love everlasting" song).

5. not a bug. But Opensong v6 keeps crashing after 2nd start on Android 5.0 and 5.1. We have three tablets on Android 5, and unfortunately only Opensong 5.6.0 seems working normally on them. I'm not sure whether fully reworked v6 will ever work on old devices... But, maybe?.. :D

Thank you very much for the release, you're doing a hard job.

Link to attachments:

Gareth Evans

Mar 12, 2023, 4:29:45 AM3/12/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the videos and files - this will help me a lot!

Points 1-2: I've still to look at the transpose issues in more detail now.  Unfortunately my internet is down and I'm currently using a mobile hotspot with limited data!  Once this is back up and running, I'll get onto it!

Point 4 was a simple fix.  I had been stupid and was thinking of doubling the image size to increase the resolution, so I doubled the width and height, but that only changed the canvas, not the comment - oops!  I've undone that and it is working now

Point 3 was also simple.  Because the app effectively screenshots the views to make the image, I forgot to draw it inside a scroll view which allows the content to go beyond the height of the screen.  The cropping was due to the views not previously being allowed to extend the screen height.  I've fixed this too.

Point 5:  The app shouldn't be any different in Android 5/lollipop.   I have had to modify a lot of code to deal with Android 4.4 (still a lot of devices using this!), but Android 5 should be fine.  Unfortunately I no longer have any devices running this to test though.  If you are willing, you could try gathering a logcat crash log?  I can give you more details of how to do this if you are interested.  It effectively involves running Android debug software on a desktop computer, connecting your device via USB and then making the device crash.  This would also help with identifying point 1 since the fileActivity.txt looks normal (this file tries to grab some of the crash log manually if I tell it to).

I will upload the changes once I've had a look at the transpose and my internet works again!   I will overwrite the existing file and leave it named beta 10 (just look for the last modified date/time changing!).  I'll also let you know on this thread.

Gareth Evans

Mar 12, 2023, 7:11:22 AM3/12/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
The transpose in set issue is because your song doesn't have a key specified.  When a song is added to a set, it also stores the song key (if set).  When transposing in a set, this value is adjusted and the song is transposed on the fly when it is loaded (but without changing the file).  Since your song has no key, it isn't able to do this and ignores the request.  I've added a check that hides this option if no key exists for the song in the set/song file, so will only show the options you see on the other video.

Gareth Evans

Mar 12, 2023, 4:52:01 PM3/12/23
to OpenSongApp
I've updated the beta 10 release in the downloads folder with these fixes.
This will be pushed live to the Google Play Store tomorrow.

Andy Hon

Mar 13, 2023, 9:51:33 AM3/13/23
to OpenSongApp
Dear Gareth!
Thank you so much for updated beta 10.
1) All the issues with exporting to image (png) are resolved! Long text songs are being exported perfectly.
2) I'll keep in mind to assign a key to every song I'd like to transpose in set. Thank you for explanation! Also it's useful feature to hide the "transpose in set" if key is not assinged. So convenient!
3) Beta 10 is crashing on Android 5.0 device I currently have. I tried to make a logcat file using adb, but "Unable to open log device 'main'" occured. I just made a bugreport in tablet Settings/Developer menu. Hope it captured the OpenSongApp crash.
P.S. Trying to install beta 10 from apk on Android 5.0 results in "There was a problem parsing the package". Though beta 10 installed fine from Play Store.
Message has been deleted