Being able to edit songs on a PC instead of phone or tablet

Steve S

Jul 1, 2021, 6:36:14 PM7/1/21
to OpenSongApp

I have the OpenSong App installed and running on my phone and tablet and have used the importing and exporting backups to get all songs on both devices.

It is kinda tough to edit without a keyboard etc. though, so I was hoping to do my editing on my PC - I have both Windows and Linux.

I have had trouble with hooking my devices to my computer and manually accessing/ moving the songs.  Error messages - parsing the song files.  Seems inconsistent etc.

I have not found a way to import my backup file into the desktop program.

Am I missing something?

I'm guessing I am not the only one that needs to do this - How do others do this?

Alistair Baty

Jul 2, 2021, 10:07:34 AM7/2/21
to OpenSongApp
Hello Steve,

I very often will edit songs on the Desktop program. While importing new song's is great in the App, editing on a full screen is still quicker. I also will print to PDF on the Desktop, for hardcopy, as the format is more customizable.

I also use my phone (on the go edits and sets), tablet (for playing) and as mentioned my desktop and my laptop. I do this using the Dropbox and DropSync method we describe in the User Guide. It works really well and changes can be checked on other devices straight away, so layouts can be adjusted if necessary.

By the way the Back-up file (OSB) file appears to just be a ZIP file with a different extension. 7z can open it as is, that rename the extension and the Desktop sound handle it fine if that is the way you want up go. After editing just zip it again, change the extension and import it again. (Not sure how import handles duplicates?)

Let us know if that works for you or if you have any other questions.
Alistair

Steve S

Jul 2, 2021, 6:59:17 PM7/2/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi Allistair
Thanks for responding and helping me get this figured out.
I prefer NextCloud so used the info in the user guide and your assurance that you have this method working and I think I may have it working now.  Pointing the OpenSongApp to the correct synced copy of my NextCloud OpenSong folder is a bit tricky but I think I have it going now.  Still experimenting but seems good so far.
Sure appreciate the help.
Hopefully I won't need more help.  :  )
Steve

Gareth Evans

Jul 3, 2021, 4:37:15 AM7/3/21
to stev...@dsfolks.name, OpenSongApp
Alistair is spot on with the backup file.  It is a zip file that contains the contents of your OpenSong/Songs folder.  It has a .osb extension rather than .zip so the app recognises it as a valid backup rather than a random zip file which would crash the app likely.  If you change it to .zip on your PC you will be able to extract the files using any zip program.  You can manually zip the contents of your Songs folder (don't zip the songs folder itself, but the contents) and then change the file extension to .osb so the app knows it is a backup file.
When importing a backup into the app, you can choose to overwrite existing files which will update all matching songs and add new ones, or not which will only import new songs.
However, synchronising via Dropbox or Google drive to share songs and sets between devices (including PC and laptop) it's definitely the way to go.

Jürgen Eisenberg

Jan 31, 2022, 10:24:02 AM1/31/22
to OpenSongApp
There is another option to edit songs (even to operate an android tab or phone from the PC with the help of QtScrcpy (https://github.com/barry-ran/QtScrcpy - scroll down on that page to see features, instructions and the download link). You need to first connect the tab/phone to the pc with a USB cable, have USB debugging and file transfer enabled in the Android settings. Then you'll see the phone mirrored on the pc and you can use the mouse and keyboard to operate it. It might help some.