Can I control opensong/openlp with Opensong App?

Jeremias Manninen

Apr 10, 2021, 10:27:39 AM4/10/21
to OpenSongApp
Hello there!

Is it possible to use opensong app to control the presentation on Opensong/openlp?
I mean when the worship leader controls the song verses on opensong app, is it possible to automatically sync lyrics to the main auditorium screen presented form desktop app?

We want to use the desktop app too because the lyrics are also going to the live stream, and I guess you cant connect two different external screens to opensong app.

Another question, not so related to the main question:
Can I show stage mode, as stage view, on external displays?

Jeremias Manninen

Alistair Baty

Apr 10, 2021, 9:52:31 PM4/10/21
to OpenSongApp
Hello Jeremias

The OpenSongApp cannot control other protection programs.
For that purpose you can use others Apps such as the "OpenSong Remote Control" app or "OpenLP - Remote 2"

The OpenSongApp has three App Modes:
  1. Performance Mode: what most of us use in the Band
  2. Presentation Mode: what you use of you just want to process lyrics to a smart TV or remote screen
  3. Stage Mode: this enables a worship leader to see their own music and chords on their tablet, and also project the lyrics of the current section. The active section is shown with a border around it. As they moves to the next section, such as the chorus, they "page down" or select that section. This moves the border around that section and sends those lyrics to the projector.
I find it really it useful in smaller groups at home or other venues where you are playing acoustically and do not have sound guys or an AV team to handle words. It keeps it personal and enables me to provide words for those who do not yet know the words.

Hope that helps.

Gareth Evans

Apr 11, 2021, 2:25:37 PM4/11/21
to Jeremias Manninen, OpenSongApp
Hi,

Whilst OpenSongApp won't control the desktop app, it can connect to other Android devices and control them. Android devices can get to a Chromecast added to your projector, or using an otg adapter (converts the USB port on the device to a separate hub that can also include an hdmi port), most Android phones, tablets can output to HDMI You can use various modes together. E.g. the leader using stage mode and a separate device either also on stage mode or presentation mode outputting the separate sections to a connected screen.  The separate screen (hdmi or Chromecast) will  get an optimised output that allows background, etc.

There's a video a user submitted doing something similar on website under the connecting devices pages:

Video direct link:

If you want to test this out, you can actually simulate external displays on your Android device:
Make sure you have enabled developer mode by going to the device settings, about device and find the text that says 'build number'.  Keep tapping it and it will tell you you are X steps away from developer mode.  Keep tapping until it says you are now a developer.
Go back to your phone settings and you'll see a developer options link.  Open it and find the link to simulate secondary displays.  This creates a picture in picture simulation (you choose the resolution) which you can pinch zoom out drag around to click on the app (to remove, go back to developer settings and set simulate secondary display to none).  Open up the app and you will see what a second screen will display (hdmi or Chromecast) in each of the 3 modes.

Hope that helps

Gareth