no apps can perform this action

Michael Mulvaney

May 2, 2021, 3:11:57 PM5/2/21
to OpenSongApp
I've been using OpenSong on a couple of different Android tablets over the last 3-4 years. Although the app has had its growing pains, it has been an amazing help to me in both worship and personal settings. All functions are operating as expected on my tablet. I just replaced an aging chromebook with an Acer Chromebook Spin 514. My old machine couldn't run Android apps but the new one can so I decided to install Android OpenSong.

I was able to successfully download my most recent OpenSongApp backup from Google Drive and then import it into OpenSong from the local filesystem. Songs came up looking like they ought to, navigation was the same. I also created a new song in the app - once again no problem. However, when I tried to export the song (first as a .pdf, and then as an OpenSong song format file) I got the following message: no apps can perform that function.

Based on an admittedly short search, this appears to be a Chrome or Chromebook message, but I couldn't quickly find out how to remedy it. I presume that it is either something I've not addressed in setup for either Chrome or OpenSong.

Anybody out there had this experience (I searched on the error message here in the forum, but no results)? Anyone have an idea how to fix it?

Mike

Gareth Evans

May 2, 2021, 4:10:52 PM5/2/21
to Michael Mulvaney, OpenSongApp
Can you install Gmail app and a file browsing app on your Chromebook (using play store).  Remember the Chromebook and Android apps don't share the same file system, so when you try to export a song using the Android app on Chromebook, it will look for a suitable Android app with which to save or send the backup file.  It can't use the native Chrome apps.

Michael Mulvaney

May 3, 2021, 1:56:21 PM5/3/21
to OpenSongApp
Gareth,

Thanks for the tip. I installed both Gmail for Android and Files by Gmail for Android. The Files app didn't do anything, but with Gmail for Android installed, OpenSong created an email with the text (with chords) in the body of the email and the song file attached. Right now I'm exploring how the Chromebook might make some of my administrative tasks with OpenSong (especially song creation - I transcribe a lot of songs for my church's worship team since our primary source for chord charts is usually wrong or not easy to follow. When I do the transcriptions, I've been making an OpenSong version at the same time for use on my tablet). I think there are some advantages to using the Chromebook for that work because it does straddle both the Chrome and Android worlds. That said, getting new songs to my tablet will still be a two-step process - I'll either send it to myself in an email and open that email on the tablet (downloading the song into the OpenSong folders), or I'll just drag a copy out of the Songs folder on the Chromebook to Google Drive and then download it from there to the tablet. Neither of those options is any more work than what I do now from my desktop to the tablet.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Mike

Lindsay Hixson

May 3, 2021, 10:15:29 PM5/3/21
to OpenSongApp

Hello Greetings, I think I did experience a related issue. Kindly send me an email here so I can assist you if possible.

Gareth Evans

May 4, 2021, 3:51:31 PM5/4/21
to Michael Mulvaney, OpenSongApp
Hi Mike,
Have you considered using Dropbox and Dropsync?  I use the desktop app OpenSong.org on my main PC (you can also run the Linux version on your Chromebook), but set the storage of my desktop/Chromebook to use a shared Dropbox folder.  This is a local folder on the desktop that then syncs with Dropbox storage (free).  On my tablet, I use the free Dropsync app to synchronise my app storage (OpenSong/) folder with the Dropbox folder.
If I edit a song on the desktop, the mobile app will synchronise and download the update on each of my android devices. Likewise changes made on any of my mobile devices with sync to Dropbox and my desktop will pull in the updates to.  This is described in the user guide at:

There's also a Google drive/drive sync option, but Linux (my main laptop) doesn't allow synchronising to Google drive in the same way.

Hope that helps?

Michael Mulvaney

May 7, 2021, 5:44:30 PM5/7/21
to OpenSongApp
Gareth,

That sounds like a great solution, but I'm pretty well embedded (for good or ill) in the Google ecosystem. It's hard for me to contemplate opening yet another cloud storage account because it has sync capabilities.I use Drive to back up all of my human readable chord charts (which I create for those still wedded to paper), and all of my OpenSong songs, sets, and app backups. The latter two are very easy to do from my tablet using OpenSong's built in export utilities. Songs get backed up when I create them (currently on my Linux desktop and probably soon from my Chromebook). Even without the export features, it's just a matter of using Chromebook's Files app to drag and drop new song files into the appropriate folder on Google Drive. My tablet has a file management app that allows me to see my Google Drive folders, so I copy them onto the tablet that way. All in all, it's still somewhat simpler than my current processes using my desktop. And yes, I am patiently waiting for someone to publish a file sync app that spans Google Drive, Android, and Linux - but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike

Michael Mulvaney

May 7, 2021, 6:24:38 PM5/7/21
to OpenSongApp
From the "Boy am I a doofus" Department...

Although it's not nearly as "elegant" as using WiFi and some special app, I just connected my Chromebook and my tablet together over a USB cable. Amazingly (to none of you, I suspect) I was able to see both file systems on both devices. I can just grab a newly created OpenSong song file from the Songs folder on my Chromebook, and drag it to the Songs folder on my tablet. Done! Sorry for all the noise!

Mike

Message has been deleted

Gmail Appakabar

Sep 29, 2021, 2:50:10 PM9/29/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi,
not sure if it helps here, I had a similar issue (ie. "no apps can perform this action", instead having Google Drive listed)
with a Chromebook managed by Google Workspace: Google Drive app is not the same app than with a not managed Chromebook.
If you need a standard behavior of Google Drive you have to install it from Google Play (keeping the other version seems ok).