Help! Midi commands not saving

John Estlea

Apr 17, 2021, 11:52:41 AM4/17/21
to opens...@googlegroups.com
I have a set list. I assign a midi patch change command to each song in that set list.
It works for song 1.
It works for song 4 onwards.
It doesn't save, so doesn't then work, for songs 2 and 3!
I add the command, test the command, save the command...
And it's gone!
Any ideas? This is such a good feature but not if it's intermittent.
I've tried saving and reloading the set, deleting and readding the songs to the set.

Gareth Evans

Apr 17, 2021, 2:27:51 PM4/17/21
to John Estlea, OpenSongApp
Are your songs OpenSong format or pdf?  Midi commands are saved into the OpenSong files and are loaded as the song is loaded.  Since PDF files can't be edited, the app tried to add a record to an internal database that links to the pdf.  Whilst it should work, it might be having issues.  Could you let me know the song formats, if they are in subfolders or just MAIN so I can try to track this down.

John Estlea

Apr 24, 2021, 7:52:12 AM4/24/21
to OpenSongApp
All my songs are PDF.
It just seems to be positions 2 and 3 in this set.
I thought I had spotted a pattern as these two songs had apostrophes in their name (one has multiple apostrophes) but other songs later in the set also do and they're fine.
These two files are no larger, have filenames no longer, than any others, so it is really strange.
I started creating a new set and the exact same thing happened.
I did a reset of the app but that wiped all the midi settings for all the songs. So I laboriously added them all again and they're all good except those two songs.
I tried adding another song in position 2 in front of these two, and it exhibited the same symptoms.
It's all rather bizarre!
Is there any diagnostic trace that I should be sending you?
(As a workaround, I tried adding a song note to these two to tell me what patch to select, but that is also not getting saved.)
All help gratefully received.
Oh, and all the songs are in one subfolder below main called "So Real".
I located .../OpenSong/Settings and could see NonOpenSongSongs.db in there, but its size is reported as zero and its timestamp as yesterday. Should that be the case?

Gareth Evans

Apr 24, 2021, 10:47:52 AM4/24/21
to John Estlea, OpenSongApp
Hi John,

I've not had a chance to investigate further as my day job (teacher) has been hectic as we are trying to finish courses and get ready for assessments!
Any features for pdf files are stored in the non OpenSongApp database file you found, which should be persistent between uninstalls/reinstalls.  However, due to Android storage issues (the bain of my life), this database isn't always updated (which is why it might show with 0kb)  The actual database is in the Android/data/com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet/ folder (which is cleared on uninstall).  The database matches the song file name and folder location of the actual pdf, so when that is loaded, it looks in that database for a matching record.  If the file name is changed, that will break that link.

Apostrophes are an issue in sqlite databases and I thought I'd encoded them to avoid this issue, but it sounds like something is going wrong with that.  It won't be anything you are doing.

To be honest, the current version of the app isn't great for non OpenSong formatted songs and this database was an after thought with many hack workarounds to implement it.  I've actually been trying the app to make it much slicker, material designed and loads more features, but progress is slow.  The non OpenSong stuff works way better in this too.  Unfortunately it is still pre alpha though!

I will try to get a look at this issue for you, but reinstalling, etc won't fix it, it will be a coding issue at my end.

To export sets, etc. You can manually do this for individual sets using the app, but to back up all of them, this isn't currently a feature.  You can, however, copy the contents of the sets folder though.

I tend to sync my devices using Dropbox/Dropsync as described in the user guide.  This syncs songs and sets (but won't sync non OpenSong databases of they show with 0kb).

I'm trying not to spend too long fixing less well used features in the current version of the app just now as this restricts my progress in the pre alpha version (which does have all of these fixes in place).

John Estlea

Apr 25, 2021, 3:20:58 PM4/25/21
to OpenSongApp
Thanks Gareth
My wife is a teacher so I empathise with the workload issue, and your apps is great despite this glitch!
I managed to insert two "dummy" pages, before each offending song and on the dummy page I could set the midi settings okay!
So a workround that it perfectly adequate.
Keep up the good work!

Sarah Dab

Aug 18, 2021, 12:37:53 PM8/18/21
to OpenSongApp
Hello John,

You may have moved on regarding this too...

"Change to 'Presentation mode.  You can now edit the song details (which is not available in other modes) associated with the PDF - no point in editing the lyrics as they are not shown.   You can set song name, key, tempo, midi info etc which will help Pads, Metronome etc. to work for a PDF."  Once this is saved, change back to your original mode and you should find it better.  Editing in 'presentation mode' is useful for songs that are not in opensong format.

If this solves your problem please let the group know.

Sarah