[v6 beta 10]

Andy Hon

Mar 24, 2023, 11:19:42 AM3/24/23
to OpenSongApp
Dear Gareth!
Thank you so much for updated beta 10.

Unfortunately beta 10 is crashing on Android 5.0 device I currently have. I tried to make a logcat file using adb, but "Unable to open log device 'main'" occured. I just made a bugreport in tablet Settings/Developer menu. Hope it captured the OpenSongApp crash.
P.S. Trying to install beta 10 from apk on Android 5.0 results in "There was a problem parsing the package". Though beta 10 installed fine from Play Store.

Gareth Evans

Mar 24, 2023, 11:37:58 AM3/24/23
to OpenSongApp
Thanks for sharing this - I spotted one line that seems to be indicating a crash and I've tried to catch this from happening.  I've put this catch into beta 11.  Can you let me know if this still crashes on Lollipop - I've no idea why this is an issue on this device.  I've tried on my old Amazon FireHD device (which runs a version of Android Lollipop/5) and I can't see the crash on that device.

Andy Hon

Mar 28, 2023, 9:45:44 AM3/28/23
to OpenSongApp
Ok, thank you! I'll wait for beta 11 and will try to install on our two Teclast devices with Android 5.0/5.1. Both are currently crashed with beta 10.

Andy Hon

Mar 29, 2023, 12:00:37 PM3/29/23
to OpenSongApp
Dear Gareth!
I have done a clean install of beta 12. The same behavior - opens successfully for the first time and loading base without issues. After closing it can't start and crashes.
I attached a fresh crashlog to troubleshoot.
Tried to install several times (apk, Google Play), clean a song database and make a single song database, install on another Teclast device (p80h) - no result.
Thank you very much for your time.

bugreport-2023-03-30-00-47-15.txt

Gareth Evans

Mar 29, 2023, 12:46:29 PM3/29/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
Hi Andy,

Some progress - I can see a crash line in the log, and it is from a different piece of code this time:
I am_crash: [5004,0,com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet,15269444,java.lang.NullPointerException,Attempt to invoke interface method 'com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet.preferences.Preferences com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet.interfaces.MainActivityInterface.getPreferences()' on a null object reference,SongMenuFragment.java,613]
03-30 00:40:51.375   639 30988 I am_finish_activity: [0,721481642,174,com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet/.MainActivity,crashed]

This means I fixed the previous issue, but the app is stumbling further through the process and causing a different crash.  I'll put a catch in for the new issue identified and see if that helps.  Really sorry about this.  I can't understand why this is happening other than perhaps a timing issue (the null object shouldn't be null when that code is executed).  That line is looking to see if you have switched on the preference for showing set item check boxes in the song menu.  The method of getting the preferences (mainactivityInterface) showing as not existing (even though it should be!).

Look out for beta 13 !!!!!

--
When responding to a post on the forum using your email, please make sure to click on the 'Reply all' button so that your response is also sent to the forum for other people to see the full conversation.
---

Andy Hon

Apr 29, 2023, 10:04:10 PM4/29/23
to OpenSongApp
Hi, Gareth!
App crash on Android 5.0 (Teclast x98 and Teclast P80) appears again on beta 16.
The behavior is the same - after clearing data app works normally, but after second/third start app crash occurs constantly.
Could you look up in the crash log, please?

Gareth Evans

Apr 30, 2023, 6:46:08 AM4/30/23
to Andy Hon, OpenSongApp
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the crash log.  I can see a different issue:
I am_crash: [8564,0,com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet,13172292,java.lang.NullPointerException,Attempt to invoke virtual method 'void androidx.recyclerview.widget.LinearLayoutManager.scrollToPositionWithOffset(int, int)' on a null object reference,SetMenuFragment.java,163]

I've put a check in for 'null' for this item - again, it shouldn't be when this code is called, but this catch should check.  This will be in beta 17