Re: [OpenSongApp] Digest for opensongapp@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Alistair Baty

Nov 1, 2021, 10:22:46 PM11/1/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

There are two issues:

1. That the contents of two files (Glorious, Echo Holy), seemed to be replaced with the words of "Great Things". This only happened on my daughter's tablet. In the process she lost her notes (sticky notes), where she had a bunch of Nashville notation. I have not seen this.

2. The corrupt data at the end of a file. I know this is an issue on three of our installion (I have not checked or had reason to do so on my second daughter's).
·  I discovered my issues when the desktop app would pop up an error saying it could not "read" a song file. That is when I first mentioned it.
·  I found the errors on my wife's when she started to get erroneous "song titles" in the song menu. Strange abbreviated cut off words as titles of non existent songs. (When you click on it, it says the song was removed or does not exist)
·  I found the issues on my daughter as described recently.

Other Notes:
- We do not sync across devices. (It is something that I'd like to try). I have used EXPORT to email my songs to them.
- I do use DropSync with Dropbox. I have now switched off the active/automated sync in case it is triggering a partial sync (bit level, if that is what it does), that results in the updating the end of the file to sync again causing the corruption. (Might I add, I don't know if this is even possible, but it was a thought)
- I have used ABC in the past, but not very recent or often.

Regards,
Alistair

______________________

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021, 7:01 PM <opens...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Gareth Evans <garethev...@gmail.com>: Nov 01 12:48AM -0700

Hi Alistair,

As Sarah has also spotted, there is a bit of corruption going on with all
three songs - in the way I know we'd talked about before (extra stuff
appearing at the end) . The song "Great things" is the worst and I'm
wondering if the error with this one has caused the app to get stuck moving
past it. Calling up edit in the app then saving it, has possibly caused
the overwriting of the other songs with the bugged song.
Is this just happening on one device (i.e. your daughters)? Obviously if
you're syncing across devices, it'll be harder to know the answer to that
one! In the eventually coming V6 of the app, I'll have a fix to look out
for corrupted songs like this and fix them. Do you use abc notation in
any of your songs? The reason I'm asking is that the rogue code seems to
appear around that part of the xml code.

Gareth

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 10:05:16 UTC Sarah Dab wrote:

Gareth Evans <garethev...@gmail.com>: Nov 01 11:15AM -0700

I think I might have found why songs get corrupted, but I'm struggling to
replicate the issue.
Alistair, am I right in assuming that the original song "Great Things" was
created on the desktop version of OpenSong and either had some custom
styles or background images? If so, can you send me that original file? I
found a bug in my coding that treats all of this as 'extra stuff' that gets
removed as plain text when editing the song, then gets reinserted when
saving (as the app doesn't use it). However, I definitely had a coding
error that could have grabbed extra text from a song and placed this back
into the xml file. I've put a fix in place to try and stop this again, but
if I can find a copy of the type of song that might cause a glitch, it'd be
good to test that before and after the fix.

Gareth

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 07:48:33 UTC Gareth Evans wrote:

You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.