Build OpenSocial Apps and win $15,000 / $10,000 / $5,000

Caprio, Remko (ELS-NYC)

May 9, 2011, 7:26:41 AM5/9/11
to opensocial...@googlegroups.com

I want to invite OpenSocial application developers to participate in a software competition

for SciVerse applications. Sciverse is an OpenSocial container that allows you to embed

OpenSocial apps in scientific publications and meta-data about authors, universities, articles

and their relations. You can build applications to enhance and customize end-user’s

scientific search needs, improving their research through a Sciverse application.

Elsevier, the world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information, has

opened their vast catalog of scientific content and provided APIs that enable developers

to create apps that improve researcher productivity and workflow. Elsevier’s trusted content

and meta-data integrates more than 10 million full text articles from over 2,500 journals and

11,000 books as well as over 42 million abstracts, citations and web content covering 18,000 titles

from over 5,000 publishers.

For more information about the challenge go to http://appsforscience.com

For more information about SciVerse go to http://developer.sciverse.com

Examples of SciVerse applications are:

-          eReader Formats - allows you to convert a ScienceDirect article in ePUB or Mobi, formats widely used by electronic readers and mobile devices such as Sony® Reader, Amazon KindleTM, iPhone®, iPadTM, Barnes & Noble nookTM, etc

-          Expert Search - helps you quickly find experts in Computer Science. It is based on data collected in Arnetminer.org (mainly for Computer Science) and compares experts based on h-index, citations and subject matter expertise. Click through to Arnetminer.org to see their full profile including a visual network of collaborators, list of publications, etc.

-          HealthMash - suggests biomedical concepts related to your query, e.g. diseases, treatments, drugs and biomarkers. You can use these to discover other relevant items in SciVerse or HealthMash by modifying your query. HealthMash covers millions of concepts and their relationships in its Health Knowledge Base ontology.

About Apps for Science

Deadline: July 31, 2011

Elsevier is offering $35,000 in prizes and challenging software developers to help researchers,

librarians and students navigate the scientific content, improve search and discovery, visualize

sophisticated data in more insightful and attractive ways and stimulate collaboration.

Elsevier has opened the scientific content and provided APIs for developers to create apps that

improve researcher and librarian productivity and workflow.

Developers are encouraged to collaborate and develop the best apps to enhance and customize

your end user’s experience of SciVerse. Developers retain full IP rights to their submissions and

can host their apps on Elsevier’s SciVerse Application Marketplace where you can market their

apps and gain revenue from 15 million users in over  10,000 institutions. Apps For Science is open

to individual residents and organizations domiciled in seven countries: Australia, India, Japan,

Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States .

leaderboard.gif

Remko Caprio

Developer Network | Elsevier

Developer Platform Evangelist

Elsevier

360 Park Avenue South

New York, NY 10010 USA

Tel +1 (212) 633 3785

Mobile +1 (718) 679 8532

Skype: remkocaprio

IM: remkocaprio

r.ca...@elsevier.com

http://developer.sciverse.com/blog

http://twitter.com/sciversedev

http://www.facebook.com/sciverse

image001.gif
image002.png

Mark W.

May 17, 2011, 9:06:19 AM5/17/11
to opensocial...@googlegroups.com
This is great stuff!!!
I'd be happy to post something on the OpenSocial blog as well. (I worked with Xobni on their hack day.)
Please send me an email off line and we'll get it going.

Mark W.

May 18, 2011, 7:43:52 AM5/18/11
to OpenSocial Community, and...@us.ibm.com
Greetings,

As a follow on the OpenSocial State of the Union, there is great
interest in having a follow on event on the east coast. I believe that
sciverse is based in NYC and I was interested in learning if you'd be
willing to help with the organization, hosting, as well as participate
in such an event.

Please let me know when you have a moment.

Thanks,
Mark Weitzel
President, OpenSocial Foundation
Developer Evangelist, Jive Apps