Connecting businesses & consumers via OpenSocial

elangovans

Mar 19, 2011, 12:05:16 AM3/19/11
to OpenSocial Community
Hi all, Is this possible - building a network between businesses &
consumers using OpenSocial? Does it make sense in OpenSocial context?
Will the containers support Social Commerce paradigm?

Thanks in advance for your discussions & replies.

Elangovan S

yuvi

Mar 22, 2011, 3:57:11 AM3/22/11
to OpenSocial Community
Hi,

It is very interesting question, can you provide one or two use
cases ?
I have developed an opensocial Gadgets platform that will be open-
source soon. I have built separated functionality
for businesses (Google Apps accounts) and a different one for the open
public. I'm interested to know
what kind of social communication you have in mind.

Elangovan Shanmugam

Mar 25, 2011, 10:31:02 PM3/25/11
to opensocial...@googlegroups.com, yuvi
Thanks Yuvi. I am thinking loud here. Here are some thoughts. Think about "social commerce".

Use case 1:
- Mr. John (Person/Cosnumer) lives in Mountain View, CA. By social, he could be part of "Mountain View Network" and "Bay Area Network".
- All plumbing companies (Businesses) that run business in "Bay area" are part of the above mentioned networks.
- Mr. John has to do some plumbing work in his house. Now he could either publish that "he is looking for plumbing quote".
- Plumbing companies can subscribe to such messages and respond to Mr. John.

To generalize the above use case, "Plumbing" - may be replaced with any business.

Use case 2:
- Mr. John has lot of pictures in the social networking web sites.
- I am a 3rd party developer who would run a printing service to connect Mr. John to many photo printing services on the internet.

Do these make any sense in Open Social context? Let me know. If they make sense then please let me know how would we do this with OpenSocial Spec?

Thanks Again for asking.

Regards
Elangovan.S
www.flickr.com/photos/elangs

yuvi

Mar 30, 2011, 5:54:01 AM3/30/11
to OpenSocial Community
Hi,

Using OpenSocial in your context is like opening a place in a shopping
mall rather then on the street.
The customers (users) are already there, but you still need to make
them enter your shop (install & use your new Gadget)

Use case1:
I can't see any way in Opensocial for the Gadget to "know" if a user
is part of "Mountain View Network" .
You can still do many things based on the "Person" object
http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Social-Data.xml#Person

Use case 2:
Seems ok to me.

In both cases the challenge is to make user install your Gadget....