Friends, Followers, & Following...

Mark W.

May 18, 2011, 1:36:26 PM5/18/11
to opensocial...@googlegroups.com
One thing that constantly comes up is the different kind of relationships that you have with people. This is an area where we should clean up the spec a bit. For example, "friends" will return the people to which you are bi-directionally connected. However, there are a lot of systems today where the relationship is one way, e.g. I'm following someone on twitter but they don't follow me back.

I'd like to add the following groups to the spec:
@following: Those people that you follow. They may or may not be following you back.
@followers: The people following you. You may or may not be following them.

This would allow us to have a cleaner mapping of relationships to what we see in practice today in systems like twitter, but also enterprise platforms.

Thoughts?