Embracing distributed/federated netowrking as step forward from walled gardens?

elf Pavlik

Nov 15, 2010, 3:37:32 AM11/15/10
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Hello,

I just started reading 1.0 specs, and I would like to ask if someone
can share some insights with me on a state of support for federated
networking? I've read some opinions that OpenSocial specifications
give more emphasis to walled garden social networks. Myself I feel
interested in using it with distributed/federated social networks.

I would appreciate any comments on:
* using webfinger to identify friends?
* WebID / FOAF+SSL
* limitations of current spec in this field?

Thank You,
elf Pavlik

http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper

Paul Lindner

Nov 15, 2010, 4:02:10 AM11/15/10
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

We're starting work on Opensocial 2.0 in December and want to add federated features where they make sense.  You're not alone in recognizing that the need to build social tools that interoperate and federate.

Once the new Opensocial wiki is up and running I'll start collecting the vision, strategy and implementation details for OpenSocial 2.0.  Some ideas already on the table:

* Replace OpenSocial Activities with Activity Streams
* Add support for WebFinger, Salmon and PubSubhubbub to comply with SWAT0.
* Deprecate or reimagine AppData
* Standardize a way to create discoverable APIs.  (like WADL, but better)
* Consider how XMPP support might allow for  Opensocial and OneSocialWeb compatibility.

Input is greatly appreciated.

Paul Lindner -- lin...@inuus.com -- linkedin.com/in/plindner

elf Pavlik

Nov 15, 2010, 10:07:04 AM11/15/10
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Great to hear that!

Thanks for replying so fast, I think now I will try to follow work on
Opensocial 2.0 much closer and hopefully get actively involved.
For now maybe I will spread this information among people working with
subject of federated networking!

Talking about XMPP I know one other project than OneSocialWeb building
aournd it: http://lorea.cc

I think inviting people from 'Federated Social Web' group to
participate also may make sense:
http://groups.google.com/group/federated-social-web
maybe I can do that once the new wiki you have mentioned works...

and I guess most people interested in federating know this wiki:
http://federatedsocialweb.net/wiki/Projects

BTW anyone working on projects from this list follows this group at
this moment? - ping ;)

Thank you once more!

On Nov 15, 10:02 am, Paul Lindner <lind...@inuus.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We're starting work on Opensocial 2.0 in December and want to add federated
> features where they make sense.  You're not alone in recognizing that the
> need to build social tools that interoperate and federate.
>
> Once the new Opensocial wiki is up and running I'll start collecting the
> vision, strategy and implementation details for OpenSocial 2.0.  Some ideas
> already on the table:
>
> * Replace OpenSocial Activities with Activity Streams
> * Add support for WebFinger, Salmon and PubSubhubbub to comply with SWAT0.
> * Deprecate or reimagine AppData
> * Standardize a way to create discoverable APIs.  (like WADL, but better)
> * Consider how XMPP support might allow for  Opensocial and OneSocialWeb
> compatibility.
>
> Input is greatly appreciated.
>
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:37 AM, elf Pavlik
> <perpetual-trip...@wwelves.org>wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I just started reading 1.0 specs, and I would like to ask if someone
> > can share some insights with me on a state of support for federated
> > networking? I've read some opinions that OpenSocial specifications
> > give more emphasis to walled garden social networks. Myself I feel
> > interested in using it with distributed/federated social networks.
>
> > I would appreciate any comments on:
> > * using webfinger to identify friends?
> > * WebID / FOAF+SSL
> > * limitations of current spec in this field?
>
> > Thank You,
> > elf Pavlik
>
> >http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper
>
> > --
>
> --
> Paul Lindner -- lind...@inuus.com -- linkedin.com/in/plindner

elf Pavlik

Oct 22, 2014, 12:21:35 AM10/22/14
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I wonder if someone still uses this list?...

Glad to see OpenSocial participating in W3C Scoial WG :)

Any updates on this submission?

Cheers!