Future of Shindig/OpenSocial

Evgeny Bogdanov

Jan 10, 2013, 4:25:37 AM1/10/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

On 25th of October I got the following answer from Ryan:

We agreed at the SoTU that we were going to hold off any major spec
development until we can get our act together from a public facing
perspective. Given that we are not there yet I don't think we will be
working on 3.0 for a few months.

Could somebody please provide details on the current state for OpenSocial
and the roadmap for Shindig?

Best
Evgeny

Ryan Baxter

Jan 11, 2013, 3:48:52 PM1/11/13
to d...@shindig.apache.org, OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Evgeny I know there has been a lot of work on a new website for the OpenSocial foundation.

@Andy / @Mark it would be great if you could update the community on this work.

As always Shindig releases are based on community consensus.  We have had several beta release of 2.5 over the past year.  We tried to close down 2.5 a few months ago but we determined there were a few critical things still open.  We as a community need to go back and review where we stand.

Matthew Marum

Jan 14, 2013, 4:37:31 PM1/14/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com, d...@shindig.apache.org
Yeah, I know that there has been work on a new website for OpenSocial but I've only seen peeks of it so far.

I've just been asked to start a 2.5.1 version of the OpenSocial spec, so I think it is fair to say that we won't be doing any new work on OpenSocial 3.0 items at least until 2.5.1 is done and the new website is published.  Most of the OpenSocial officers are busy working those items right now.

Matt Marum

James M Snell

Jan 14, 2013, 4:39:08 PM1/14/13
to OpenSocial, d...@shindig.apache.org

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Matthew Marum <mgm...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip] I've just been asked to start a 2.5.1 version of the OpenSocial spec, so I think it is fair to say that we won't be doing any new work on OpenSocial 3.0 items at least until 2.5.1 is done and the new website is published [snip]

:-(

- James

Ryan Baxter

Jan 14, 2013, 5:33:27 PM1/14/13
to d...@shindig.apache.org, OpenSocial
Matt good to hear about OS 2.5.1.  In general though we need to keep these requests and updates and sneak peeks of things on the dev lists so the rest of the community can see and be informed abou them.  We should all try to be better about this...

James M Snell

Jan 14, 2013, 5:51:01 PM1/14/13
to OpenSocial, d...@shindig.apache.org
+1