OpenSOC Next Generation Release

david...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2015, 4:48:05 PM9/18/15
to OpenSOC Support

Today we forked the OpenSOC streaming repository to one of our GitHub accounts - https://github.com/b23llc/opensoc-streaming

We have immediate needs to make several commits based on recent customer engagements.  The last previous OpenSOC commit was more than 5 months ago (April 4, 2015).

After several weeks of having open pull requests, observing the overall commit history diminish to zero in recent months, and hearing that major changes have occurred within the OpenSOC team, we believe it is in our customer's best interest to continue work on this project with more active sponsorship.

Over time, we are considering taking a more active role in OpenSOC due to a number of challenges we have observed with the initiative including:

1.) Currently, transparency for future releases does not exist, and the inability for people to contribute complicates planning efforts for organizations that want to use OpenSOC.  Organizations that use OpenSOC need to understand how and when upgrades and issue resolution will impact their development efforts.

2.) We believe there are several significant architectural-related changes that can be made to OpenSOC to make it relevant to 2015 and beyond most notably the use of Apache Spark.  We have deep experience with Spark and have already architected and building a next-generation OpenSOC proof-of-concept using Spark for Machine Learning (ML).

3.) We do not believe it is worthwhile to fork and continue development on the OpenSOC-UI components that use custom-coded version of Kibana3.  Over time, we believe a robust alternative to the Kibana3 UI and its  custom AngularJS code is a good thing for everyone.  We also have several UI solutions under consideration that would plug into a next-generation OpenSOC architecture.  This will make the UI less tightly-coupled and more pluggable as new UI tools evolve.

We are interested in your feedback about how to get more people contributing in an active and meaningful way to move OpenSOC forward.

We hope many others who share our passion for OpenSOC will contribute with us.