Soncino Talmud Copyright

Aharon Varady

Jul 19, 2012, 10:51:43 AM7/19/12
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List, Justin Levy, Sasha Brodsky
The Soncino Talmud is an English translation of the Talmud prepared by a number of scholars between 1935 and 1948. Like most folk interested in making valuable content from the Public Domain digitized, I've long been interested in what the copyright status of Soncino might be. At the Tel Aviv University library today I took a quick look at their collection of first edition Soncino Talmuds to get a better grasp of what the respective copyright dates are of the various volumes.

The volumes of the Soncino are organized according to the six books of the mishnah.

The tractates of the talmud that comment on Seder Nezikin were first published in 1935, of Nashim in 1936, and of Moed in 1938. The tractates of the talmud that comment on Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth were all published after WWII in 1948.

The verso of the title page on every volume indicates the first edition was printed in Haarlem in the Netherlands. On the title page itself it lists, Soncino Press, London. The Soncino was not published in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad.

The term of copyright for the Netherlands for a work based on publication date is 70 years from publication. The term of copyright for the UK for works published in this period is 95 years from the publication date.

In the United States, if a work published without compliance to US copyright laws, outside the US was in the Public Domain in its home country as of January 1, 1996, then it remains in the PD. The Soncino Talmud was not copyrighted in the US.

Based on these facts, if we consider the Soncino Talmud to have been published in the Netherlands then probably only the volumes in Seder Nezikin are in the PD. Below is the material I think is in the PD. I'd love to hear other folks expery opinion on this.

SEDER NEZIKIN (Damage: 10 tractates)
    Foreword — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
    Introduction to Seder Nezikin — Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein
    Baba Kamma (First gate: 10 chapters, 119 folios, 719 pages)
    Introduction to Baba Kamma — Dr. E. W. Kirzner
    Baba Mezi‘a (Middle gate: 10 chapters, 119 folios, 676 pages)
    Introduction to Baba Mezi‘a — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    Baba Bathra (Last gate: 10 chapters, 176 folios, 780 pages)
    Introductory to Baba Bathra — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki and Maurice Simon
    Sanhedrin (Court of Justice: 11 chapters, 113 folios, 781 pages)
    Introduction to Sanhedrin — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman and Jacob Shachter
    ‘Abodah Zarah (Strange Worship: 5 chapters, 76 folios, 366 pages)
    Introduction to Abodah Zarah — Rev. Dr. Abraham Cohen
    Horayoth (Rulings: 3 chapters, 14 folios, 106 pages)
    Introduction to Horayoth — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Shebu‘oth (Oaths: 8 chapters, 49 folios, 309 pages)
    Makkoth (Floggings: 3 chapters, 24 folios, 175 pages)
    ‘Eduyyoth (Testimonies: 8 chapters, 50 pages)
    Aboth (Fathers: 6 chapters, 91 pages)

Efraim Feinstein

Jul 19, 2012, 11:00:18 AM7/19/12
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not questioning the analysis, I'm just not sure how one does
research on a particular point, and it's one that has *always* been the
bane of any copyright research of foreign works I've tried to do:

On 07/19/2012 10:51 AM, Aharon Varady wrote:
> The verso of the title page on every volume indicates the first
> edition was printed in Haarlem in the Netherlands. On the title page
> itself it lists, Soncino Press, London. The Soncino was not published
> in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad.

How do you find that out?

--
---
Efraim Feinstein

Aharon Varady

Jul 19, 2012, 11:24:30 AM7/19/12
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Efraim Feinstein <efraim.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm not questioning the analysis, I'm just not sure how one does research on a particular point, and it's one that has *always* been the bane of any copyright research of foreign works I've tried to do:

On 07/19/2012 10:51 AM, Aharon Varady wrote:
The verso of the title page on every volume indicates the first edition was printed in Haarlem in the Netherlands. On the title page itself it lists, Soncino Press, London. The Soncino was not published in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad.

How do you find that out?

Because the first edition was never published in the US. There's simply no record of that happening. I don't know if that's true or not for the 1962 edition, but given the earlier edition I doubt whether that's relevant.

Aharon

Brett Lockspeiser

Jul 19, 2012, 7:07:46 PM7/19/12
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting, I didn't realize these were first published in the Netherlands. But am I missing something in the reasoning and/math of this.

Nezikin was published in Netherlands in 1935 with 70 year copyright term, hence expiring in 2005. In 1996 it was not in the public domain in its home country. Today it is but then so are Nashim and Moed. If Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act doesn't go into effect, then is the work treated as though it had the proper copyright in the US in the first place, or is it on the terms of the home country?

Aharon Varady

Jul 20, 2012, 2:34:16 AM7/20/12
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Brett Lockspeiser <blo...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is interesting, I didn't realize these were first published in the Netherlands. But am I missing something in the reasoning and/math of this.

No, you're right I miscalculated. The odd thing is I calculated this correctly in a private conversation a few weeks ago in which I made an argument for our register our project as a non-profit somewhere other than the US so as not to be subject to the Sony Bono Act. This list provided some direction of where to incorporate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_length

Nezikin was published in Netherlands in 1935 with 70 year copyright term, hence expiring in 2005. In 1996 it was not in the public domain in its home country. Today it is but then so are Nashim and Moed. If Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act doesn't go into effect, then is the work treated as though it had the proper copyright in the US in the first place, or is it on the terms of the home country?

They are in the Public Domain in their home country with this reasoning and the rest will follow in 2018.

Aharon

Aharon Varady

Apr 22, 2013, 2:48:32 AM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Introduction

Last July, I wrote to the discussion list with a first draft summary of my research into the Public Domain status of the Soncino Talmud translation. My report then was inconclusive. Since then, I've incorporated new findings. My conclusions shouldn't please everyone and needless to say, I am not a lawyer, but on the other hand, there is some potentially good news. I hope this research provides a better point of departure for folk examining this issue.

Sources

My research has relied extensively on "Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States" at <http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm> and upon "List of Countries' Copyright Term Length" at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_length>. I also consulted first editions of all volumes of the Soncino Talmud include its Index.

Findings

The Soncino Talmud is an English translation of the Talmud prepared by a number of scholars between 1935 and 1948. The volumes of the Soncino are organized according to the six books of the mishnah: Nezikin, Nashim, Moed, Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth.

The tractates of the Talmud in Seder Nezikin were first published in 1935, in Nashim in 1936, and in Moed in 1938. The tractates of the Talmud in  Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth were all published after WWII in 1948.

The verso of the title page on every volume indicates the first edition was printed in Haarlem in the Netherlands. Title pages state "Soncino Press, London."

I could find no information whether the Soncino was published in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad. Later editions of the Soncino were published in the United Kingdom.

Conclusions

The question of whether the Soncino Talmud is to be considered to have been published in the Netherlands or in the United Kingdom is crucial. Is the place of printing also the place of publishing? In the United Kingdom, was it possible for British publishers to publish their works in the UK but print their works on the Continent?

The term of copyright for works published in the UK has been 50 years from the publication date. If we consder the Soncino Talmud to have been published in the UK, then the tractates in Nezikin, Nashim, and Moed entered the Public Domain between 1985 and 1988. The tractates in Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth entered the Public Domain in the UK in 1998 and the Soncino Talmud Index in 2002.

The term of copyright in the Netherlands for a work based on publication date is 70 years from publication. If we consider the Soncino Talmud to have been published in the Netherlands then the tractates in Nezikin, Nashim and Moed entered the Public Domain in the Netherlands between 2005 and 2008. The rest of the Soncino Talmud should follow by 2018 except for the Index which will enter the Public Domain in the Netherlands in 2022.

The Soncino Talmud was not copyrighted in the US. It was solely published abroad, albeit without compliance with US formalities or republication in the US (within 30 days), and not in the public domain in its home country as of 1 January 1996. According to United States copyright law, works published outside the US and in the Public Domain in their home country as of January 1, 1996, remain in the Public Domain for 95 years after their Publication Date (with some exceptions).

If the Soncino Talmud is considered to have been published in the Netherlands, then tractates in Nezikin, Nashim and Moed should begin to enter the Public Domain of the United States in 2030, with the remaining tractates entering in 2043 and the Index in 2047.

If the Soncino Talmud is considered to have been published in the United Kingdom, then the tractates found in Nezikin, Nashim, and Moed entered the Public Domain between 1985 and 1988. The rest of the Soncino Talmud will enter the Public Domain in the United States in 2043 and the Index in 2047.

Below are the tractates that I believe may have entered the Public Domain in the United States between 1985 and 1988, when the works entered the Public Domain in the United Kingdom.

[...]

SEDER MOED (Appointed Seasons: 12 tractates)
        Foreword to Seder Mo‘ed — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
        Introduction to Seder Mo‘ed — Rabbi Dr. I Epstein
    Shabbath (Sabbath: 24 chapters, 157 folios, 806 pages)
        Introduction to Shabbath — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    ‘Erubin (Blendings: 9 chapters, 105 folios, 733 pages)
    Pesahim (Paschal Lambs: 10 chapters, 121 folios, 623 pages)
    Yoma (The Day: 8 chapters, 88 folios, 441 pages)
    Sukkah (Booth: 5 chapters, 56 folios, 27 pages)
    Bezah (Egg: 5 chapters, 40 folios, 203 pages)
    Rosh Hashana (New Year: 4 chapters, 35 folios, 174 pages)
    Ta‘anith (Fast: 4 chapters, 31 folios, 165 pages)
    Shekalim (Shekels: 8 chapters, 36 pages)
    Megillah (The Scroll: 4 chapters, 32 folios, 195 pages)
    Mo‘ed Katan (Minor Feast: 3 chapters, 29 folios, 192 pages)
    Hagigah (Festival-Offering: 3 chapters, 27 folios, 171 pages)

SEDER NASHIM (Women: 7 tractates)
        Foreword to Seder Nashim — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
        Introduction to Seder Nashim — Rabbi Dr. I Epstein
    Yebamoth (Sisters-in-law: 16 chapters, 122 folios, 871 pages)
        Introduction to Yebamoth — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Kethuboth (Marriage Settlements: 8 chapters, 112 folios, 728 pages)
        Introduction to Kethuboth — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Nedarim (Vows: 9 chapters, 91 folios, 283 pages)
        Introduction to Nedarim — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    Nazir (Nazirite: 9 chapters, 66 folios, 253 pages)
        Introduction to Nazir — Rabbi B. D. Klein
    Sotah (Suspected Adulteress: 9 chapters, 49 folios, 271 pages)
        Introduction to Sotah — Rev. Dr. Abraham Cohen
    Gittin (Bills of Divorcement: 9 chapters, 90 folios, 439 pages plus 5 pages of appendix)
        Introduction to Gittin — Maurice Simon
    Kiddushin (Consecrations: 4 chapters, 82 folios, 425 pages)

Efraim Feinstein

Apr 22, 2013, 3:23:38 AM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the publication research: a few questions:

On 04/21/2013 11:48 PM, Aharon Varady wrote:
I could find no information whether the Soncino was published in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad.

For the US, isn't this the critical variable?

The term of copyright for works published in the UK has been 50 years from the publication date.

Source? I thought it was life of the last author to die + 70 years, retroactive to 1925 < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom#Printed_works>.

The term of copyright in the Netherlands for a work based on publication date is 70 years from publication.

Isn't it life of the author + 70 years?

Aharon Varady

Apr 22, 2013, 12:19:53 PM4/22/13
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Efraim Feinstein <efraim.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 04/21/2013 11:48 PM, Aharon Varady wrote:
I could find no information whether the Soncino was published in the US within 30 days of its publication abroad.

For the US, isn't this the critical variable?

I looked through the Stanford Copyright Renewal database and found no record. Also, WorldCAT has no record for an edition of the Soncino Talmud published in the US. On the other hand, without looking inside a first edition of the Soncino Talmud, I'd have no way of knowing it was printed in the Netherlands.

So, did every copy of the Soncino Talmud make a transatlantic voyage to North America? That seems to be the case. If Soncino was careful enough to print Haarlem, Netherlands on volumes printed there but ostensibly published in the UK, then I would expect that some location in the United States would be indicated if there was an edition printed here. The fact that every first edition copy I find in the United States has the Netherlands imprint makes me think that the first edition was not printed in the US, since I would expect to see copies with a US imprint in the US.

The term of copyright for works published in the UK has been 50 years from the publication date.

Source? I thought it was life of the last author to die + 70 years, retroactive to 1925 < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom#Printed_works>.

<sigh>. You are correct... I was misled by the following under the column heading, "Copyright terms based on publication and creation dates" at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_length>

In the entry for the UK, it had written: "50 years after release; if not released, 50 years after making (sound recordings)."

The Soncino Talmud is an edited work with multiple translators. The key question now is whether the UK copyright here would be for Soncino, for the editor, or for the individual translators.

Soncino Talmud editor

Rabbi Dr. Isidore Epstein (1894–1962)

Principal Contributors (Partial)

Rabbi Israel Brodie (1895-1979)
Rabbi Dr. Abraham Cohen (1887-1957)
Salis Daiches (1880-1945)
Rabbi Dr. Harry Mordechai Freedman (1901-1982)
Rabbi Dr. Joseph. H. Hertz (1872-1946)
Jacob Shachter (1886–1971)
Maurice Simon (1874-1955)
Rabbi Dr. Israel Wolf Slotki (1884–1973)

I don't know the years of death for the following:
Rabbi B. D. Klein
Dr. Elie. W. Kirzner
Jacob Davidson (Governing Director of the Soncino Press, compiler of the Index)

Morris Ginsberg (Second edition, revisor 1964) (1889-1970)

The term of copyright in the Netherlands for a work based on publication date is 70 years from publication.

Isn't it life of the author + 70 years?

Yes. It is also "70 years from publication (anonymous or pseudonymous work, corporate works with no listed natural author)" -- which I applied to a collective work under the publisher's copyright (Soncino), rather than each individual translator.

Additional resources.

A short history of Soncino from CS Monitor in 1985:
http://www.csmonitor.com/1985/0627/dbsonc-f.html/%28page%29/2

(The current Soncino Press is not the same company as the medieval Soncino Press)

Soncino's US Address is:

 The Soncino Press Ltd
123 Ditmas Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11218
United States

Aharon Varady

Apr 22, 2013, 12:42:50 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
One more item that may be pertinent. This from the Sonny Bono Copyright Act of 1998:

The law includes an exception that allows libraries, archives and nonprofit educational institutions to treat a copyrighted work in the last (new) 20 years of protection as if it were in the public domain for purposes of preservation, scholarship or research. Conditions that apply to this usage in the last 20 years require a good faith investigation to determine that the work is not subject to normal commercial exploitation, the work or phonorecord cannot be obtained at a reasonable price, and use of the work stops if the copyright owner provides notice to the contrary. See 63 Fed. Reg. 71,785 (Nov. 3, 1998) for interim regulations effective January 1, 1999 on this issue.
<http://counsel.cua.edu/fedlaw/ctea.cfm>

If the copyright of the Soncino expires in 2032 (70 years after the death of Isidore Epstein), then this 20 year exception would begin to apply to the original, unrevised edition of the Soncino Talmud beginning in 2012.

My understanding is that the usage would be permitted by us unless we received a notice to the contrary. I'm not certain how "normal commercial exploitation" is defined but the first edition of the Soncino Talmud is long out-of-print, and even volumes of the second, revised edition by Morris Ginsburg are out-of-stock and cannot be sold by the press.

Aharon

Yakov Shafranovich

Apr 22, 2013, 12:52:58 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
[the following is my personal opinion]

A few points to consider:
1. In cases of work for hire, the copyright belongs to the employer
(section 5, 1, b). Joint works will go by the last surviving author:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/1-2/46/enacted

2. Printing in Netherlands has no relevance what so ever. Publication
is defined as distribution, not printing:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

Publication has a technical meaning in copyright law. According to the
statute, “Publication is the distribution of copies or phonorecords of
a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by
rental, lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or
phonorecords to a group of persons for purposes of further
distribution, public performance, or public display constitutes
publication. A public performance or display of a work does not of
itself constitute publication.”

You will have to confirm this on the UK side, but it is probably similar.

3. Assuming that country of publication is the UK, and this is a work
for hire, the most important thing to determine is whether it was in
public domain in the country of origin (the UK) on January 1st, 1996
in order to qualify for reciprocal copyright in the US under the GAATT
changes. The Law in the UK changed in 1995 taking effect on January
1st, 1996 and flipping from 50 to 70 years. As per your calculations,
they are not in public domain.

Yakov

Yakov Shafranovich

Apr 22, 2013, 12:54:03 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Judaica Press is actively selling the Soncino Talmud in print:

http://www.soncino.com/index.php/cPath/22?osCsid=6b23f4a6d60916191a31e445b0cbabb5

They are photocopies of the old editions.

Yakov

Aharon Varady

Apr 22, 2013, 1:14:42 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Yakov,

Thank you for helping to  answer some of my basic questions re: publishing vs. printing. Thank you!

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <ya...@shaftek.org> wrote:
Judaica Press is actively selling the Soncino Talmud in print:

http://www.soncino.com/index.php/cPath/22?osCsid=6b23f4a6d60916191a31e445b0cbabb5

They are photocopies of the old editions.

Referring to this in my last email, I was careful to distinguish between the first edition of the Soncino Talmud (completed 1952 under the editorship of Isidore Epstein), and the later revised edition by Morris Ginsburg.

I think the 20 year rule in the Sonny Bono Copyright Act of 1998 would apply to the first edition, but would not to the second revised edition, except perhaps for the four tractates that they frankly admit are out-of-print and out-of-stock.

Aharon

Yakov Shafranovich

Apr 22, 2013, 1:24:05 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Also, the Soncino was offered for sale in the US, thus satisfying the
definition of "published in the US":

http://doi.library.cmu.edu/10.1184/pmc/CRI/CRI_1939_095_007_12221939

See the left side where it discusses pricing.

It is unclear if it happened within 30 days.

They had a US Office as well:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=L3F1UaO5LZSx0AHruIGwDQ&id=DkUbAQAAMAAJ&dq=%22books+in+print%22+soncino&q=+soncino#search_anchor

There is a copyright entry for another work of theirs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=q6shAQAAIAAJ&dq=soncino&pg=PA83#v=onepage&q=soncino&f=false

Yakov

Aharon Varady

Apr 22, 2013, 2:05:10 PM4/22/13
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <ya...@shaftek.org> wrote:
Also, the Soncino was offered for sale in the US, thus satisfying the
definition of "published in the US":

http://doi.library.cmu.edu/10.1184/pmc/CRI/CRI_1939_095_007_12221939

See the left side where it discusses pricing.

It is unclear if it happened within 30 days.

They had a US Office as well:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=L3F1UaO5LZSx0AHruIGwDQ&id=DkUbAQAAMAAJ&dq=%22books+in+print%22+soncino&q=+soncino#search_anchor

There is a copyright entry for another work of theirs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=q6shAQAAIAAJ&dq=soncino&pg=PA83#v=onepage&q=soncino&f=false

This is great research, Yakov. Thank you.

If it can be confirmed that it was "published" out of a US office within 30 days of Publication, then the first and possibly also the second revised edition could be in the Public Domain.

What specific information would we need to confirm this? I think we would need the exact date of first publication for each of the volumes of the Soncino in all of the countries where the Soncino Press had an office.

I think it might be a good idea to put together a list of what publications it would be wise to look through in 1935, 1936, 1938, 1948, 1952, and 1962. e.g., Professional publications (for libraries, publishers) with lists of recent publications, as well, as Jewish newspapers and magazines advertising upcoming publications.

Perhaps someone has already done this legwork and simply hasn't published their findings. It seems to me crucial that these findings be shared openly.

Aharon

Yakov Shafranovich

Apr 22, 2013, 9:37:06 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
There is another, simpler, possibility. According to this blog post,
the Soncino Talmud was explicitly placed into public domain:

http://tzvee.blogspot.com/2011/09/golan-v-holder-copyright-and-soncino.html

Someone should contact him to find out what the source for this is.

Brett Lockspeiser

Apr 22, 2013, 9:52:09 PM4/22/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I contacted him a while back, asking if he could give me any source and his response to me was, "I have nothing further to help you on your inquiry."

But it's worth someone else trying again -- contact me off list and I will share his email if you'd like to ask.

Aharon Varady

Apr 27, 2013, 9:06:38 PM4/27/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Shavuah tov, everyone.

I've been busy with school but I wanted to better respond to the research Yakov posted. I think it should inspire folk to do the necessary legwork to verify what others would rather presume on the basis of wishful thinking or the vague statements of folk unwilling to make firm declarations.

It need not be said, but the reason that Brett and I are taking this seriously is because matters like these hang like the sword of Damocles over free-culture projects like Wikisource, Sefaria, and the Open Siddur.

See below for my responses, inline.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <ya...@shaftek.org> wrote:
Also, the Soncino was offered for sale in the US, thus satisfying the
definition of "published in the US":

I wanted to find a source for this so I could better make an informed statement were someone to ask me. Here's what I found in the FAQ definitions page of the US Copyright Office <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html>:

What is publication?
Publication has a technical meaning in copyright law. According to the statute, “Publication is the distribution of copies or phonorecords of a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or phonorecords to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public performance, or public display constitutes publication. A public performance or display of a work does not of itself constitute publication.” Generally, publication occurs on the date on which copies of the work are first distributed to the public. For further information see Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Publication.”

http://doi.library.cmu.edu/10.1184/pmc/CRI/CRI_1939_095_007_12221939

See the left side where it discusses pricing.

Yakov, could you share exactly what page you're referring to? The link you provided doesn't contain any mention of Soncino's Talmud that I can find. Also, I'm not certain how this link to the Jewish Chronicle of Western Pennsylvania from 1939 helps us. Better to find bookseller adverts 1935, 1936, 1938, 1948, and 1952.

It is unclear if it happened within 30 days.

This is the most difficult question it seems, and rather than relying on wishful thinking or asking others for their own unsupportable answers, I think we should actually invest our time in researching this. Finding an answer is possible.

For the volumes Nashim (1936), Moed (1938), and Nezikin (1935), the first step would be consulting The English Catalogue of Books 1936-1941, vol. 14 (Sampson Low) for the month in which each of the volumes of the first edition Soncino Babylonian Talmud was published. Columbia university and other libraries have copies. Someone needs to go over to their library and get this critical piece of information.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/english-catalogue-of-books/oclc/559345918

Once we know the official publication month, we can check American Jewish newspapers on microfilm for bookseller's advertisements corresponding to those dates.

 [Soncino] had a US Office as well:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=L3F1UaO5LZSx0AHruIGwDQ&id=DkUbAQAAMAAJ&dq=%22books+in+print%22+soncino&q=+soncino#search_anchor

This is good to know: Soncino's US office according to this source was 84 5th Ave, New York, NY 11.

I'm not certain how this helps, but knowing this address might help in verifying any information we find that links to that address.

If I'm reading this entry correctly, Macmillan Co., published Albert Einstein's About Zionism on December 1, 1930. It was subsequently published by Soncino Press on January 10, 1931.

Not seeing how this is relevant.

Aharon

Yakov Shafranovich

Apr 27, 2013, 9:57:18 PM4/27/13
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Aharon Varady <aharon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <ya...@shaftek.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://doi.library.cmu.edu/10.1184/pmc/CRI/CRI_1939_095_007_12221939
>>
>> See the left side where it discusses pricing.
>

> Yakov, could you share exactly what page you're referring to? The link you
> provided doesn't contain any mention of Soncino's Talmud that I can find.
> Also, I'm not certain how this link to the Jewish Chronicle of Western
> Pennsylvania from 1939 helps us. Better to find bookseller adverts 1935,
> 1936, 1938, 1948, and 1952.

I apologize, the page you are looking for is page 23. The specific
text is as follows - I am attaching the PDF as well:

"WE PASS IT ON
London's Soncino Press expects to have the final volumes of its
com­plete English translation of the Baby­lonian Talmud ready for
distribution by next April . . . The $200 price of the complete
32-volume work has not been raised since the outbreak of war, but if
any of you are interested in purchasing this first unabridged Eng­lish
translation of the Talmud we may tell you that the price may be raised
after January 1st . . . For $480, incidentally, you can at this time
be­ come one of the chosen few to buy a deluxe edition of the Talmud,
of which only thirty-five numbered sets are being made"

This is from December 22, 1939 indicating that the Soncino Talmud was
being offered for sale in the US for dollars.

>> There is a copyright entry for another work of theirs:
>>

>> http://books.google.com/books?id=q6shAQAAIAAJ&dq=soncino&pg=PA83#v=onepage&q=soncino&f=false
>

> If I'm reading this entry correctly, Macmillan Co., published Albert
> Einstein's About Zionism on December 1, 1930. It was subsequently published
> by Soncino Press on January 10, 1931.
>
> Not seeing how this is relevant.

This shows that they had a US office, and knew about the requirement
for register in the US for foreign works. The magic question then is
why did they not register any of their other works.

As a side note, Bowker currently publishes something calles Books In
Print. I believe the predecessor to that existed back then and should
list the Soncino if it was published in the US.

Yakov
document.pdf

Aharon Varady

Apr 27, 2013, 10:38:24 PM4/27/13
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Yakov Shafranovich <ya...@shaftek.org> wrote:

I apologize, the page you are looking for is page 23. The specific
text is as follows - I am attaching the PDF as well:

"WE PASS IT ON
London's Soncino Press expects to  have the final volumes of its
com­plete English translation of the Baby­lonian Talmud ready for
distribution by next April . . . The $200 price of the complete
32-volume work has not been raised since the outbreak of war, but if
any of you are interested in purchasing this first unabridged Eng­lish
translation of the Talmud we may tell you that the price may be raised
after January 1st . . . For $480, incidentally, you can at this time
be­ come one of the chosen few to buy a deluxe edition of the Talmud,
of which only thirty-five numbered sets are being made"

This is from December 22, 1939 indicating that the Soncino Talmud was
being offered for sale in the US for dollars.

Thank you, Yakov. I apologize for not seeing it on first and second glance. It was right in front of me!

This shows that they had a US office, and knew about the requirement
for register in the US for foreign works. The magic question then is
why did they not register any of their other works.

I think this question may be moot, since its copyright would have been restored if it wasn't published in the US within 30 days of being published abroad. This is what I know, from <http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july08/hirtle/07hirtle.html>:

For most of the 19th century, the United States was a copyright pirate nation.9 Published works of foreigners were afforded no copyright protection, and many leading American publishing houses grew by publishing works of foreign authors, without paying any royalties. Beginning in 1891, however, the US began to afford protection to works first published abroad. Eligibility was sharply constrained, however. Only works from countries participating in certain copyright treaties or covered by presidential proclamations were eligible for protection, and the works by and large had to comply with American procedures (notice, American manufacture of foreign-origin books published in English, registration, deposit, and renewal).10 Works published abroad that failed to comply were generally considered to be in the public domain in the US.

All of this changed on 1 March 1989, when the United States joined the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the broadest international copyright agreement.11 A requirement of the Berne Convention is that member countries must afford copyright protection to works that are still protected by copyright in their source country. At first the US sought to protect only Berne works created after the 1 March 1989 date, but in the face of stiff international criticism, the US eventually agreed to restore copyright protection in the US to works still protected in their home countries. Foreign works that had entered the public domain in the US because of their failure to comply with US formalities suddenly were given a full term of copyright: initially 75, and later extended to 95, years from publication.

Copyright restoration has had an obvious impact on the investigation of the copyright status of works published abroad. It is no longer necessary to check the copyright renewal records for works that were first published in Berne Convention member nations; almost all these works are now automatically protected for the full term of copyright.

As a side note, Bowker currently publishes something called Books In

Print. I believe the predecessor to that existed back then and should
list the Soncino if it was published in the US.

I'd be interested to know whether Bowker's definition of "published" for Books-in-Print also means "offered for sale."

Aharon

Aharon Varady

Nov 12, 2014, 12:48:51 PM11/12/14
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
Just an update with some more detail on the month in which the first edition of the Soncino Talmud was initially published.

As previously discussed, since the Soncino was published outside the US, its Public Domain status under US copyright law would be determined by whether it could be acquired in the US within a month of being published abroad. <http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm>

The volumes were published in the following order:

Fourth week of March, 1935 ("eight volumes") see Chicago Sentinel, 04.04.1935, page 20. The volumes in Nezikim correspond to this publication date.
Third week of January, 1937 ("eight volumes") see The Palestine Post, 24.01.1937, page 9. The volumes in Nashim correspond to this publication date.
First week of February, 1938 ("eight volumes") see The Palestine Post, 02.10.1938, page 3. The volumes in Moed correspond to this publication date.
Third week of February, 1950 ("final six volumes") see The Palestine Post, 24.02.1950, page 8. The volumes in Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth correspond to this publication date.

Thanks to the Israel National Library for their amazing newspaper search tool: http://web.nli.org.il/sites/JPress/English

FIRST TALMUD IN ENGLISH APPEARS IN LONDON

London (JTA)-The first complete and unabridged edition of the BabyIonian Talmud in the 'English language made its appearance last week in London. The edition will consist of thirty volumes.

The publication of the unabridged edition of the Talmud for the first time in English was hailed at a luncheon of notables as "an outstanding contribution to world scholarship." Dr. J.H. Hertz, chief Rabbi of the British Empire, presided at the luncheon. "A reliable English translation of the whole Talmud has long been looked forward to by British scholars. Now this need has been fulfilled," Chief Rabbi Hertz stated. The English edition of the Talmud is published by the Soncino Press of London. The edition is limited to 1,000 numbered sets. A deluxe edition of 85 sets is also being published. Of the thirty volumes, the first eight go on sale this week. A second set will be published next year and a third in 1937. The eight volumes now published include in full the ten tractates comprising the Seder Neziken, which is the basis for modern law.

--
Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A. J.Ed.
Environmental Educator, Public Domain Advocate, Community Planner

Amanda Rush

Nov 12, 2014, 7:33:38 PM11/12/14
to opensid...@googlegroups.com

I am not a copyright expert, so I have a question. Given that most of these were published in the U.S. within a month of their Brittish editions, does this mean that OpenSiddur can use them as public domain works?

Amanda

Aharon Varady

Nov 12, 2014, 7:40:21 PM11/12/14
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List

We could if we could prove that they were available in the US within a month of their publication in the UK. That hasn't been proven, but knowing the time of publication now gives us a critical detail to compare against if we can locate any dates when they first came to the US.

Andrew Meit

Nov 12, 2014, 7:52:28 PM11/12/14
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
An idea: ask several libraries (secular and jewish) when they ordered their copies.
Perhaps one of those libraries have purchase records going back that far?
Or asking some of the older synagogues when they got theirs (might have records too?).

shalom, Andrew Meit
Please visit my gallery:

Efraim Feinstein

Nov 12, 2014, 7:52:42 PM11/12/14
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My understanding of the chart (IANAL) is that if the publication in the US was within 30 days of the publication in the UK, the conventional US copyright terms hold. Whether it is currently in the public domain in the US would depend on whether the publication had the required notice and renewal. If not, it's in the public domain (either by lacking original notice or not having been renewed).

If the US publication was not within 30 days, the only way it would be in the public domain in the US now would be if it was in the public domain in the source country (UK) as of Jan 1, 1996.

-Efraim

Aharon Varady

Dec 23, 2014, 3:19:30 PM12/23/14
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
I think without any more information as to when copies of the Soncino Talmud were first made available in the US, we can only assume that the first edition volumes of the Soncino Talmud will remain under copyright for 95 years from their publication date. Copyright researchers are still invited to locate and share any evidence that the first edition volumes of the Soncino Talmud were available in the US within thirty days of their publication dates in the UK: March 1935 (Nezikin), January 1937 (Nashim), February 1938 (Moed), and February 1950 (Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharot).

In short, this means that the volumes in Nezikin will come into the Public Domain in 2030, Nashim in 2032, Moed in 2033, and Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharot in 2045.

In the meantime, I think it's appropriate for digital humanities projects acting as digital archivists to properly digitize these works in anticipation of their coming into the Public Domain, as well as for their use under Fair Use. The Sonny Bono Copyright Act of 1998 does grant a twenty year exemption for certain institutions to make copies of these works under certain conditions.

Just as a matter of fact, the volumes of the Soncino that have already entered their last twenty years of copyright protection are those in Nezikin (2010), Nashim (2012), and Moed (2013) and include the following tractates:
In 2025, the tractates in Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharot will come under this provision (unless there's some other copyright reforming legislation in the next decade, of course).

Copies are permitted to be made of these today by certain institutions under the limited terms described. While analog and digital copies cannot be made for commercial purposes by the "libraries and archives" themselves, I imagine that use of said copies (for instance) to make additional copies for purposes including commercial use is a matter of legal question.

I am not a lawyer. However, I do think it's fair that when we speak of the copyright status of the volumes of the Soncino Talmud (first edition) that we keep in mind this nuance, for whatever its worth.

This from <http://copyright.southernct.edu/Librarians/librarians7.htm>:

Section 104 of [the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA)] exempts libraries under limited circumstances from its provisions for published works in their last 20 years of copyright protection. Libraries and archives are permitted to reproduce published works in their last 20 years of protection for purposes of preservation, scholarship, or research so long as the work is not copied for commercial purposes and a copy of the work cannot be obtained at a reasonable price.

Under the CTEA, Section 108 was subsequently amended as follows —

During the last 20 years of any term of copyright of a published work, a library or archives, including a nonprofit educational institution that functions as such, may reproduce, distribute, display, or perform in facsimile or digital form a copy of such work, or portions thereof, for purposes of preservation, scholarship, or research, if such library or archives has first determined, on the basis of a reasonable investigation, that none of the conditions noted below in (1), (2), and (3) apply.

No reproduction, distribution, display, or performance is authorized if —

  1. the work is subject to normal commercial exploitation;
  2. a copy of the work can be obtained at a reasonable price; or
  3. the copyright owner or its agent provides notice pursuant to regulations promulgated by the Register of Copyrights that either of the conditions set forth in (A) and (B) applies.

The exemption provided herein does not apply to any subsequent uses by users other than such library or archives.

Aharon

Aharon Varady

Oct 9, 2016, 4:54:43 AM10/9/16
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
I thought I'd do some more basic research into the Soncino Talmud copyright question since I hadn't seen a single resource in which the translator(s) responsible for each tractate were listed.

I also was curious as to the date of death of all the contributors which I believe are technically "works for hire" under the supervision of the chief editor -- in our case, Isidore Epstein (1894-1962). This is really only significant if one were to be interested in whether an argument could be made for any specific tractate of the Talmud to have come into the Public Domain in the UK (something which doesn't have any bearing on their Public Domain status in the US).

I was able to identify most of the contributors and find their date of birth and death but for folk interested, there are three I couldn't figure out:

Rabbi B. D. Klein (translator of tractate Nazir)
Rabbi L. Miller (translator of Temurah)
Alec Eli Silverstone (translator of tractate Shabuoth)

Jacob Davidson (Governing Director of the Soncino Press, compiler of the Index)

To review, the question of whether any of the volumes were available in the US within 30 days of publication in the UK remains outstanding. Folks following this thread over the last few years might recall the helpful research of Yakov Shafronovich suggesting that eager buyers in the U.S. had certainly pre-ordered volumes of the Soncino Talmud as soon as they could be shipped from the printer. We've actually been able to learn the week of publication for all the volumes from articles published in the Chicago Sentinel and the Palestine Post. If we could confirm with some evidence that the Talmud was indeed available within 30 days in the US, then we'd be able to state with confidence that the Soncino Talmud was indeed in the Public Domain per US Copyright laws. However, that's not the case yet. Since 2014, I've grown more confident that Yakov is correct.

Lacking confirmation on that front, however, here's what we're left with: http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/copyright-duration3.html
Follow the chart here and you'll basically come to the same conclusion I did back in 2014, that the volumes in Seder Nezikin will come into the Public Domain in 2030, Nashim in 2032, Moed in 2033, and Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharot in 2045. See below for all the tractates specific to those volumes.

In the UK, most of these volumes should be in the PD as early as 2032 since Isidore Epstein died in 1962.

Author's copyright in the UK is defined as life + 70.

"Under the 1995 Regulations (set out below), the period of author's copyright was further extended, to the lifetime of the author and 70 years thereafter. Those regulations were retrospective: they extended the copyright period for all works which were then still in copyright, and (controversially) revived the lapsed copyright of all authors who had died in the previous 70 years, i.e. since 1925. Accordingly, copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works currently expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. Where the work has more than one author, the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last survivor of them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom#Printed_works

Soncino's publishers copyright ended between 1970 and 1983.

"The publisher's (separate) copyright, in the typographical arrangement of a printed work, lasts for 25 years from the end of the year in which publication occurred. This protects a publisher's copyright in all printed works: including books, magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom#Publication_right

Here are all the relevant contributors to the Soncino Talmud:

Soncino Talmud, chief editor

Rabbi Dr. Isidore Epstein (1894–1962)

Translators:
Rabbi Prof. Israel Abrahams (1858-1925)
Rev. Harry Bornstein (1908-1943)
Rabbi Israel Brodie (1895-1979)
Eli Yehudah Cashdan (1905-1998)

Rabbi Dr. Abraham Cohen (1887-1957)
Rev. Phillip Cohen (1908-1985)
Salis Daiches (1880-1945)
Dr. Isidore Fishman (1908-1982)

Rabbi Dr. Harry Mordechai Freedman (1901-1982)
Morris Ginsberg (Second edition, revisor 1964) (1889-1970)
Rabbi Dr. Joseph. H. Hertz (1872-1946)
Jacob Israelstam (1893-1973)
Rabbi Dr. Leo Jung (1892-1987)
Dr. Eliezer Woolf Kirzner (1896-1991)
Rabbi B. D. Klein (?-?)
Harris M. Lazarus (1897-1962)
Dr. Simon Maurice Lehrman (1900-1988)
Rabbi L. Miller (?-?)
Rabbi Arnold Mishcon (1880-1935)
Rabbi Dr. Israel Porusch (1907-1991)
Rev Dr Joseph Rabbinowitz (1892-1975)
Moses Hirsch Segal (1876-1968)
Jacob Shachter (1886–1971)
Alec Eli Silverstone (?-?)

Maurice Simon (1874-1955)
Rabbi Dr. Israel Wolf Slotki (1884–1973)

SEDER NEZIKIN (Damage: 10 tractates)
Published the fourth week of March, 1935 ("eight volumes") according to the Chicago Sentinel, 04.04.1935, page 20.

        Foreword — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
        Introduction to Seder Nezikin — Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein
    Baba Kamma (First gate: 10 chapters, 119 folios, 719 pages) — Dr. E. W. Kirzner
    Baba Mezi‘a (Middle gate: 10 chapters, 119 folios, 676 pages) — Salis Daiches and Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    Baba Bathra (Last gate: 10 chapters, 176 folios, 780 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki and Maurice Simon
    Sanhedrin (Court of Justice: 11 chapters, 113 folios, 781 pages) — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman and Jacob Shachter
    ‘Abodah Zarah (Strange Worship: 5 chapters, 76 folios, 366 pages) — A. Mishcon and Rev. Dr. Abraham Cohen
    Horayoth (Rulings: 3 chapters, 14 folios, 106 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Shebu‘oth (Oaths: 8 chapters, 49 folios, 309 pages) — A. E. Silverstone
    Makkoth (Floggings: 3 chapters, 24 folios, 175 pages) — H. M. Lazarus
    ‘Eduyyoth (Testimonies: 8 chapters, 50 pages) — M.H. Segal
    Aboth (Fathers: 6 chapters, 91 pages) — J. Israelstam

SEDER MOED (Appointed Seasons: 12 tractates)
Published the first week of February, 1938 ("eight volumes") according to The Palestine Post, 02.10.1938, page 3.
        Foreword to Seder Mo‘ed — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
        Introduction to Seder Mo‘ed — Rabbi Dr. I Epstein
    Shabbath (Sabbath: 24 chapters, 157 folios, 806 pages) — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    ‘Erubin (Blendings: 9 chapters, 105 folios, 733 pages)  — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Pesahim (Paschal Lambs: 10 chapters, 121 folios, 623 pages) — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    Yoma (The Day: 8 chapters, 88 folios, 441 pages) — Rabbi Dr. Leo Jung
    Sukkah (Booth: 5 chapters, 56 folios, 27 pages)  — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Bezah (Egg: 5 chapters, 40 folios, 203 pages)  — Rabbi Dr. M. Ginsberg
    Rosh Hashana (New Year: 4 chapters, 35 folios, 174 pages) — Maurice Simon
    Ta‘anith (Fast: 4 chapters, 31 folios, 165 pages) — Rev Dr J Rabbinowitz
    Shekalim (Shekels: 8 chapters, 36 pages) — Rabbi M H Segal
    Megillah (The Scroll: 4 chapters, 32 folios, 195 pages) — Maurice Simon
    Mo‘ed Katan (Minor Feast: 3 chapters, 29 folios, 192 pages) — Rabbi Dayan H.M. Lazarus
    Hagigah (Festival-Offering: 3 chapters, 27 folios, 171 pages)  — Rabbi Prof. I. Abrahams

SEDER NASHIM (Women: 7 tractates)
Published the third week of January, 1937 ("eight volumes") according to The Palestine Post, 24.01.1937, page 9.
        Foreword to Seder Nashim — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
        Introduction to Seder Nashim — Rabbi Dr. I Epstein
    Yebamoth (Sisters-in-law: 16 chapters, 122 folios, 871 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Kethuboth (Marriage Settlements: 8 chapters, 112 folios, 728 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
    Nedarim (Vows: 9 chapters, 91 folios, 283 pages) — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
    Nazir (Nazirite: 9 chapters, 66 folios, 253 pages) — Rabbi B. D. Klein
    Sotah (Suspected Adulteress: 9 chapters, 49 folios, 271 pages) — Rev. Dr. Abraham Cohen
    Gittin (Bills of Divorcement: 9 chapters, 90 folios, 439 pages plus 5 pages of appendix) — Maurice Simon
    Kiddushin (Consecrations: 4 chapters, 82 folios, 425 pages)  — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman

SEDER Zeraim, Kodashim, and Toharoth
Officially published 1948.
Published the third week of February, 1950 ("final six volumes") according to The Palestine Post, 24.02.1950, page 8.

SEDER ZERA‘IM (Seeds: 11 tractates)
Introduction to Seder Zera‘im — Rabbi Dr. I Epstein
Berakoth (Benedictions: 9 chapters, 64 folios, 405 pages) — Maurice Simon
Pe‘ah (Corner: 8 chapters, 46 pages) — Dr. S.M. Lehrman
Demai (Doubtful: 7 chapters, 82 pages) — Rev. M.H. Segal
Kil‘ayim (Mixtures: 9 chapters, 68 pages) — Rev. J. Israelstam
Shebi‘ith (Seventh: 10 chapters, 52 pages) — Rabbi Dr. S.M. Lehrman
Terumoth (Heave Offerings: 11 Chapters, 57 pages) — Rabbi Dr. S.M. Lehrman
Ma‘aseroth (Tithes: 5 chapters, 29 pages) — Rev. Phillip Cohen
Ma‘aser Sheni (Second Tithe: 5 chapters, 33 pages) — Rev. M.H. Segal
Hallah (Dough 4 chapters, 40 pages) — Rev. J. Israelstam
‘Orlah ('Uncircumcision', sc. of trees: 3 chapters, 29 pages) — Rev. J. Israelstam
Bikkurim (First Fruits: 4 chapters, 4 folios, 24 pages) — Rabbi Dr. S.M. Lehrman

SEDER KODASHIM(Holy Things: 11 tractates)
Epilogue — The Very Rev. The Chief Rabbi Israel Brodie
Introduction to Seder Kodashim — Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein
Zebahim (Animal-offerings: 13 chapters, 120 folios, 596 pages) — Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman
Menahoth (Meal-offerings: 13 chapters, 110 folios, 682 pages) — Eli Cashdan
Hullin (Non-holy: 11 chapters, 142 folios, 825 pages) — Eli Cashdan
Bekoroth (Firstlings: 9 chapters, 61 folios, 418 pages) — Rabbi L. Miller and Maurice Simon
‘Arakin (Estimations: 9 chapters, 34 folios, 204 pages)  — Rabbi Dr. Leo Jung
Temurah (Substitution: 7 chapters, 34 folios, 253 pages)  — Rabbi L. Miller
Kerithoth (Excisions: 6 chapters, 28 folios, 220 pages) — Rabbi Dr. I. Porusch
Me‘ilah (Trespass: 6 chapters, 22 folios, 86 pages)  — Rabbi Dr. I. Porusch
Tamid (The Continual [Offering]: 7 chapters, 33 folios, 38 pages) — Maurice Simon
Middoth (Dimensions: 5 chapters, 23 pages)  — Maurice Simon
Kinnim ([Bird-]nests: 3 chapters, 24 pages)  — Rabbi Dr. S.M. Lehrman

SEDER TOHOROTH (Cleannesses: 12 tractates)
Introduction to Seder Tohoroth — Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein
Niddah (The Menstruant: 10 chapters, 73 folios, 509 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
Kelim (Vessels: 30 chapters, 142 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
Oholoth (Tents: 18 chapters, 86 pages) — Rev. H. Bornstein
Nega‘im (Leprosy: 14 chapters, 70 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
Parah (Heifer: 12 chapters, 58 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
Tohoroth (Cleannesses: 10 chapters, 60 pages) — Rev. Dr. Israel W. Slotki
Mikwa'oth (Pools of Immersion: 10 chapters, 46 pages) — Rev. M.H. Segal
Makshirin (Predispositions 6 chapters, 36 pages) — Rev. M.H. Segal
Zabim (They That Suffer Flux: 5 chapters, 24 pages) — Dr. S.M. Lehrman
Tebul Yom (Immersed at Day Time: 6 chapters, 20 pages) — Dr. S.M. Lehrman
Yadayim (Hands: 4 chapters, 26 pages) — Dr. Isidore Fishman
Ukzin (Stalks: 3 chapters, 20 pages) — Dr. S.M. Lehrman

Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A. J.Ed.
Environmental Educator, Public Domain Advocate, Community Planner
Writing | Research

--
Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A.J.Ed.
Community Planner, Educator