Some GPL+FE license changes in the latest minor Culmus update 0.132

Aharon Varady

Jan 22, 2018, 2:11:59 AM1/22/18
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
Maxim Iorsh of the Culmus project writes in:

The new release 0.132 of the Culmus fonts is available for download from the
site of the project http://culmus.sourceforge.net.

This is a minor release which introduces support of meteg and rafe diacritics into David CLM font.

Please kindly contact me with any requests and comments.

Besides an update to David CLM, I noticed a change in Licenses file included in the Culmus update package.

For the first time I'm seeing a couple of Maxim Iorsh's fonts licensed with the GPL font exception clause: Hadassim and SimpleCLM.

Perhaps this change occurred a while ago, but this is the first time I noticed it. It's significant for us, since ultimately, we can only incorporate license compatible fonts in the Open Siddur application that Efraim has long been working on. (GPL licensed fonts without the font exception clause are effectively license incompatible.)

Hadassim is a beautiful, niqqud supporting, Unicode Hebrew font. Welcome Hadassim!

I've updated our font pack with the latest from the Culmus project update.

You can sort all the fonts in our open-source and Unicode Hebrew font pack via our fonts index at http://opensiddur.org/help/fonts

Aharon

--
Aharon Varady
Founding Director, Shamesh

Twitter | Facebook
Pronouns: He/him/his

Marc Stober

Jan 22, 2018, 8:20:22 AM1/22/18
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify, you mean that previously you didn't include those fonts but now you have license terms where you can! That's great!

Marc Stober
Student Cantor/Jewish Educator | Software/Web Developer