shin with dagesh confuses transliterator?

Ben Denckla

Mar 24, 2016, 6:56:00 PM3/24/16
to opensiddur-tech
I've been playing around with the transliterator (http://opensiddur.org/tools/transliterate/).

It seems to be confused by a shin with a dagesh.

E.g., the sequence of 4 code points shin, sin dot, dagesh, and qamats (שָּׂ) transliterates to just 's' using the Modern Israeli scheme. It similarly ignores the qamats in all other schemes.

In contrast, the "un-dageshed" version works just fine.

I.e. the sequence of 3 code points shin, sin dot, and qamats (שָׂ) transliterates to 'sa' using the Modern Israeli scheme.

Efraim Feinstein

Mar 24, 2016, 10:50:41 PM3/24/16
to opensid...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

T֡hanks for reporting. I've just confirmed the bug and it's being tracked at https://github.com/opensiddur/opensiddur/issues/150

Partial explanation: There is special handling for shin+dagesh in the transliteration code, because it is often not doubled (shsh) in transliteration, where other letters with dagesh hazak would be doubled. That handling seems to be failing.

-Efraim

Efraim Feinstein

Apr 17, 2016, 12:45:24 AM4/17/16
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The bug fix for this has now been deployed to the server at app.opensiddur.org along with server v0.10.1, which also supports integrated transliteration (not yet supported in the client, but on the way...) https://github.com/opensiddur/opensiddur/wiki/Release-Notes

-Efraim

Aharon Varady

Apr 19, 2016, 10:11:26 PM4/19/16
to Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
In the meantime, should I take our transliterator demo page down? I've been getting messages from users noticing that this link <http://app.opensiddur.org/exist/apps/opensiddur-demos/translit/index.html> is b0rked. (Or is there a new link to the transliterator I should be using?)
--
Aharon Varady
Founding Director, Hierophant

Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook  | Google+

Efraim Feinstein

Apr 20, 2016, 8:25:09 AM4/20/16
to opensid...@googlegroups.com

The link shouldnt have changed. I can look into it today

Efraim Feinstein

Apr 20, 2016, 8:31:35 AM4/20/16
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
working now... sorry for the unexpected downtime.