Perhaps a FAQ: Easy access to the source?

11 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
26.03.2017, 12:00:2126.03.17
an opensiddur-tech
Is there a simple process for accessing the source data for, e.g. http://opensiddur.org/haggadot/passover-seder/haggadah-for-pesa%E1%B8%A5-an-english-translation/
?

While I appreciate the PDF-maker feature, I'd really prefer to work with the source data, or an extract of it.

I feel like I either need to

 - Build my own opensiddur server and client, somehow mirror the server database and then extract the data via my own client.  I couldn't find documentation for how to mirror the database.
or
 - Get an account on app.opensiddur.org
or something else.

What's my next move?

Aharon Varady

ungelesen,
26.03.2017, 17:04:2926.03.17
an Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
This is a great question and in providing a general answer I hope to give folk with skills who can help develop (or build upon) our project, a better sense of what it looks like broadly right now.

re: opensiddur.org -- Wordpress is the engine underlying opensiddur.org -- For those who want to do more than scrape HTML with a webspider like wget, we have a plugin (Jetpack) providing a JSON API in order to "authorize applications and services to securely connect to our site. Developers can use WordPress.com's OAuth2 authentication system and WordPress.com REST API to manage and access our site's content." Let me know if you'd like to use that API or are willing to learn more -- because if so, we can teach each other. I've been waiting for the day for someone to ask to utilize it! I'm also happy to provide editor (and higher administrator) privileges to folk who would like to join the project and help to develop the site through it's backend interface.There's a lot of work to do and a lot of room for folk to pitch in who want to improve our accessibility, indexing, taxonomy structure, and interfaces. I'm happy to schedule time to meet with anyone wanting to collaborate and improve the site as it is.

Currently, there is no automated bridge between the texts or the user accounts at app.opensiddur.org and opensiddur.org

re: app.opensiddur.org -- This is a custom built web app (XSL) built upon a native XML database using the TEI XML schema. There is documentation via our wiki on github, but I'll leave it to Efraim to tell you more about the web application he's built at app.opensiddur.org and how to access the texts in its database, mirror the server, etc. Eve Levavi Feinstein's translation of the Passover Seder Haggadah comes directly from the very proof-of-concept for Efraim's server driven opensiddur application -- initially a command line program. I think that the text that I formatted in HTML and posted to opensiddur.org came directly from a PDF that I rendered from that (now ancient) CLI app. Efraim has been single-handedly building this app for years and would be pleased I think to have a collaborator.

Aharon Varady
Founding Director, Hierophant
the Open Siddur Project
http://opensiddur.org

Twitter | Facebook

Aharon Varady

ungelesen,
26.03.2017, 18:29:0626.03.17
an Open Siddur Technical Discussion List
Just as an addendum to what I wrote prior:

Given the JSON API through Jetpack on Wordpress, I'm really curious whether this might be useful -- and how we can better serve data through it.

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 14:39:1627.03.17
an opensiddur-tech, aha...@opensiddur.org
So the answer to my question is, "no, there is no simple access method".

It seems that opensiddur is open the way the mouth of a volcano is open:  It takes a lot of work to get close, and once you've done that, your problems have only just begun :)

I would be happy to try on the Jetpack API

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Danny Sadinoff <da...@sadinoff.com> wrote:
Is there a simple process for accessing the source data for, e.g. http://opensiddur.org/haggadot/passover-seder/haggadah-for-pesa%E1%B8%A5-an-english-translation/
?

While I appreciate the PDF-maker feature, I'd really prefer to work with the source data, or an extract of it.

I feel like I either need to

 - Build my own opensiddur server and client, somehow mirror the server database and then extract the data via my own client.  I couldn't find documentation for how to mirror the database.
or
 - Get an account on app.opensiddur.org
or something else.

What's my next move?

Efraim Feinstein

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:12:0527.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com, Aharon Varady
Sorry for the slow response. For data that is in the db (not much right now), there is a way to get source data:

You can press the open as xml button (it's in the dropdown for open) from the UI or hit the API directly at app.opensiddur.org/api/data/original

Aharon Varady

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:24:4027.03.17
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Danny Sadinoff <da...@sadinoff.com> wrote:

I would be happy to try on the Jetpack API

Great! Let me know how it goes and if we need to make any more changes on our end to help.

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:27:4127.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com
This is excellent.  Many thanks, Efraim!

Next question, which I think Aharon started to address:  What I really want is the source to your beautiful  haggddah.  I'm working with a friend on a concept for marginal apparatus which will show the year of inclusion of each source.

———
Danny Sadinoff
da...@sadinoff.com

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:37:0727.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Aharon Varady <
​​
aha...@opensiddur.org

wrote:

Great! Let me know how it goes and if we need to make any more changes on our end to help.

​Okay, I'll get credentials from you offline, and take it from there.​

———
Danny Sadinoff
da...@sadinoff.com

Efraim Feinstein

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:40:3627.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com
It was originally a plain text document, so the text is actually the closest that exists to source

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 15:44:1627.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see that some sort of interestingly-marked-up Heidenheim Hebrew text is committed to github, so that's half of what I'm after.  The other half would be the translation , and the third half would be the linkage/markup joining them.  Where do those live?

———
Danny Sadinoff
da...@sadinoff.com

Efraim Feinstein

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 17:12:3927.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com
I haven't entered the translation into the db yet (and hence, no linkage yet).

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 17:19:4627.03.17

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM, Efraim Feinstein <efraim.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't entered the translation into the db yet (and hence, no linkage yet).

​so...That's fine, I don't really need it to be in the db.  Where does the source for the translation live, currently?​

———
Danny Sadinoff
da...@sadinoff.com

Efraim Feinstein

ungelesen,
27.03.2017, 18:40:3127.03.17
an opensid...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, the content on the wordpress site is the closest to source.

--

Danny Sadinoff

ungelesen,
28.03.2017, 02:18:5228.03.17

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Efraim Feinstein <efraim.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
As far as I know, the content on the wordpress site is the closest to source.

​Okay, then Jetpack it is.​

———
Danny Sadinoff
da...@sadinoff.com