transliteration demo

Emily Croft

Apr 18, 2024, 3:57:28 PMApr 18
to opensiddur-tech
Hello folks, I'd love to use the transliteration tool, but the button doesn't seem to be doing anything. I put Hebrew text (with vowels) in the left box, select the transliteration schema, and hit "transliterate" but nothing happens. I've tried with different schemas and in a few browsers. This is the only tool I've found with the ALA schema so I really hope to be able to use it! 😊

Thank you,
Emily

Aharon Varady

Apr 19, 2024, 3:02:10 PMApr 19
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, Efraim Feinstein
It's a real problem and I've spoken with Efraim Feinstein about it. In short, the transliterator demo has been broken for many months now. For anyone reading with the ability to troubleshoot javascript, please consider this a call to action.

Efraim may be able to explain the issues further. My understanding is that he believes the issue is on the client side (opensiddur.org -- our front facing site) and not the server side (app.opensiddur.org -- a separate development server that he maintains).

The transliterator form lives at opensiddur.org in its own directory:
https://opensiddur.org/transliteration/ (review the page-source in your web browser for details).

(Note: Nothing about the form's current brokenness relates in any way to Wordpress, where the form is embedded via an <iframe> in a page. The form can be accessed outside of a wordpress environment at the link above.)

You'll find in the page source the following scripts called at the bottom -- whatever is broken likely has to do with one of the following links:

    <!-- Le javascript
    ================================================== -->
    <!-- Placed at the end of the document so the pages load faster -->
    <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.0.3.min.js" ></script>
    <script src="https://code.angularjs.org/1.1.5/angular.min.js" ></script>
    <script src="https://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/twitter-bootstrap/2.3.2/js/bootstrap.min.js" ></script>
    <script src="js/app.js" ></script>

It's that very last line that points to the following javascript:

I'm not sure if the problem can be fixed by simply updating one of those links or in modifying the app.js code. Efraim can (and I hope, will) say more.

Aharon

Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A.J.Ed.
Community Planner, Educator
Pronouns: He/him/his

Efraim Feinstein

Apr 19, 2024, 4:49:59 PMApr 19
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, Efraim Feinstein
The source code for this demo app is here <https://github.com/opensiddur/opensiddur/tree/develop/opensiddur-demos/src/translit>

It is written using ancient versions of Bootstrap, AngularJS, and JQuery. The code hasn't changed in 6 years.

The command line utility <https://github.com/opensiddur/opensiddur/tree/develop/python>  to execute the transliterator works:
```
$ echo "אֶפְרָיִם" | ./os.py --prod transliterate --text american_library_association
’efrayim
```

Running it without any HTTP redirects <https://db-prod.jewishliturgy.org/exist/apps/opensiddur-demos/translit/index.html> also works. That makes me think there's something new and wonky in the DNS settings on opensiddur.org

-Efraim

Aharon Varady

Apr 19, 2024, 5:02:19 PMApr 19
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, Efraim Feinstein

I've replaced the link to the form there and everything is working again as expected.

Aharon

Marc Stober

Apr 22, 2024, 12:06:40 PMApr 22
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, Efraim Feinstein
I notice that the Transliterate button is disabled, and never becomes enabled in the version of this that lives on the OpenSiddur domain. From a quick look, it seems like Angular is supposed to enable it when you choose a table and enter some text. I wonder if something in the older version of Angular isn't working (maybe doesn't work right with modern browsers)?

Chag sameach, Marc

--
Marc Stober, MJEd, MS
cantor, coder, teacher