Michael Friedlander's Jewish Family Bible (1884)

Aharon Varady

Jul 28, 2010, 7:45:43 PM7/28/10
to Open Siddur Project
Does anyone on this list have a lead on a digital text of M. Friedlander's English Translation of the TaNaKh -- his Jewish Family Bible (1884)? This public domain work is the sourcetext which the Koren TaNaKh (1992) based their translation.

Does anyone have a copy they can scan or work at a university with a digital book scanner that they can use to scan a copy?

If so, please be in touch.

Thank you!

Aharon

Efraim Feinstein

Jul 28, 2010, 9:04:30 PM7/28/10
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this will help anyone, but, here's the record on Google Books (they don't have scans, but they do have a record)
http://books.google.com/books?id=xwxrQAAACAAJ

Title Jewish family Bible containing the Pentateuch, the Prophets, and the Hagiographa, in Hebrew and English...
Author Michael Friedländer
Publisher J. and W. Rider, 1881
Length 1979 pages

As far as I know, this translation is also the base text of Aryeh Kaplan's translation.

-Efraim

---
Efraim Feinstein
Lead Developer
Open Siddur Project
http://opensiddur.net
http://wiki.jewishliturgy.org

Seth (Avi) Kadish

Jan 13, 2014, 5:55:00 AM1/13/14
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I stumbled upon this just today, years later... :-)

I own the Sinai reprint, and would be happy to lend it or give it away to anyone who wants to scan it.

Google Books now seems to have a scan, but it is not available for download in Israel. Many such books can be downloaded in the USA, however. If anyone does succeed in downloading the digital version at this link, please get me access to it as well:
http://books.google.co.il/books/about/The_Jewish_family_bible.html?id=6HJmPwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Avi

Aharon Varady

Jan 13, 2014, 10:46:40 AM1/13/14
to opensiddur-talk
I don't see that there is a scan available in the US either. Seth, what makes you think a scan was made?

The best thing to do would be to find a way to scan it in Israel. I'm willing to scan it here in the US, but I'm guessing I could find a copy at HUC. My problem has been getting the equipment together for a suitable scanner. Basically, it's a capital investment of $600 -- something I'd like to raise money for.

Folks who'd like to support the growth of our project, please donate with this link:

Aharon

--
Content posted to this group is the copyright of its author(s) and presumed to be licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license, unless another license is indicated. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
---

Aharon Varady
Founding Director, Hierophant
the Open Siddur Project