Use of liturgy sourced from the Cairo Geniza

Aharon Varady

Nov 17, 2013, 10:06:10 PM11/17/13
to opensiddur-talk
Over in our Open Siddur Discussion Group on Facebook, Rabbi Dalia Marx asks:

Shalom Friends,
I wanted to ask if any of you has ever used material from the *Cairo Genizah* in liturgy you've created/lead, or if you are aware of such a use. I need to lecture on the use of Genizah material in today's liturgy.
Many thanks!

Does anyone on this list know? The only contemporary use that comes to mind are David Bar-Hayyim and his students who pray from Yair Shaki's Eretz Yisrael Siddur (a siddur attempting to reconstruct the Palestinian Nusaḥ from material in the Cairo Geniza). For an example of Yair Shaki's Nusaḥ Eretz Yisrael, see this birkat hamazon:

--
Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A. J.Ed. (2013)
Environmental Educator, Public Domain Advocate, Community Planner

Read my latest essay on the values underpinning an economy for sharing creativity in Torah.

Efraim Feinstein

Nov 17, 2013, 10:15:35 PM11/17/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com

I think the lev shalem machzor has some. I am not sure if anyone uses it.

--
Content posted to this group is the copyright of its author(s) and presumed to be licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license, unless another license is indicated. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
---

Dalia Marx

Nov 17, 2013, 11:16:43 PM11/17/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Efraim, can you direct me to the material in Lev Shalem?
Thank you! Dalia
--
הרבה דר' דליה מרקס
פרופ' חברה לליטורגיה ומדרש, היברו יוניון קולג', ירושלים

~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~ * ~~

Efraim Feinstein

Nov 17, 2013, 11:52:59 PM11/17/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I don't own a copy and my memory for page numbers is not *that* good. I think you'll find some of the material scattered in the selections of piyyutim in most of the services.

Dalia Marx

Nov 18, 2013, 12:45:37 AM11/18/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
thank you, I will look for it

Jonah Rank

Nov 18, 2013, 1:08:41 AM11/18/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Shalom all,

See page 327 of Mahzor Lev Shalem.

The person who typed up most of the mahzor,
Jonah

Jonah Rank
Co-founder, Jewish Eyes On The Arts @ www.jewisheyesonthearts.com

Columbia University: B. A., Music, 2010.
Jewish Theological Seminary: B. A., Jewish Music, 2010; Rabbinic Ordination & M. A. 2015.

www.jonahrank.com

Rabbi Leon A. Morris

Nov 18, 2013, 11:30:04 AM11/18/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I believe that the following "left side" (alternative reading) in Mishkan T'filah: A Reform Siddur is based on a prayer formulation found in the Cairo Geniza.  As it appears opposite the Barechu, I have used this a few times in the absence of a minyan as a "call to worship."

ברוך אתה ה' אלקנו מלך העולם אשר קדשנו במצותיו וצונו על מצות קריאת שמע להמליכו בלבב שלם וליחדו בלב טוב ולעבדו בנפש חפֵצה.
Praised are You, Adonai our God, Ruler of the Universe, who hallows us with mitzvot, commanding us how to recite the Sh'ma: to declare wholeheartedly God's rule, to declare earnestly God is One, and to willingly worship God.

The note at the bottom of the page reads:
So important was the recitation of the sh'ma to our ancestors in Eretz Yisrael that they introduced it with a blessing.  That blessing fell of our use over a thousand years ago; we reclaim it here as part of our liturgical heritage.