OpenSF photo policy and session videotaping

Pepper Mint

Jun 7, 2012, 2:42:44 AM6/7/12
to opensf-...@googlegroups.com
Much of this is standard for a sexuality conference, but bears repeating.  At OpenSF we are concerned for the privacy of our attendees.  Here is the OpenSF photo policy:

1)  Do not take pictures of people without their explicit verbal consent, period.  Don't even hold your phone like you might be taking pictures.  Don't take pictures where you might be catching people in the background.

2)  Do not take pictures inside the conference meeting rooms.  Many of the presenters are not out and do not want their photos on your facebook feed.  We may make an exception for sessions that are being videotaped, but please sit in the front row so that you are not catching the audience.  There is a further exception for one session ("Photo Perspectives") which will use the experience of photography as part of the workshop.

This means you can take pictures of people with their consent, in the common areas, when you are not catching people in the background.

Speaking of videotaping, we will be videotaping some session presentations (one per session period).  We have already discussed this with the presenters in question.  The video crew are professionals and will only be taping the presenters.  We will have various ways to avoid taping the voices of the audience during Q&A.  In some sessions, we will stop the recording.  In others there will be a question box for writing down questions.  The video will be edited before any broadcasting to ensure audience privacy.

Pepper