On the new OpenSearch

DeWitt Clinton

Apr 12, 2021, 3:45:13 PM4/12/21
to opens...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I want to point everyone’s attention over to the all new opensearch.org, where Amazon has just announced an exciting new open source search engine project called OpenSearch.

I think it’s a great name for the new project, and I am personally onboard with the repurposing of the OpenSearch mark and domain, both of which Amazon still control, for this new effort.

The plan is to use a lightweight disambiguation page to point people in the right direction if necessary. Given the relative dormancy of the syndication format, and that we already moved the canonical reference over to github, I don’t expect anything more is really needed.

Best of luck to everyone involved in the new effort!

-DeWitt (co-author and maintainer of the OpenSearch syndication protocol)

Chris Lynnes

Apr 17, 2021, 8:38:55 PM4/17/21
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dewitt,

Thanks for the heads-up on this, not sure I would have found out about it otherwise.

The disambiguation page is a good start, but I know I for one still have a question that the page does not quite answer. Namely, do the two OpenSearches have any relationship at all, or are they two completely separate technologies now that happen to share the same name and nothing else?

P.S.:  Although the syndication standard has not needed any changes over the past several years, it nonetheless is well-used in our community of Earth Observation data search, including in the Open Geospatial Consortium, so I think of it more as stable than dormant. Like ASCII, for example :-).