Examples of how OpenSearch is used

Kalman Gacs

Feb 11, 2021, 7:22:22 AM2/11/21
to OpenSearch
Hello All,

New to this group and OpenSearch.

I found this project because I saw an example of what I thought was a nice search on a site on National Geographic, and I saw they had some meta information from OpenSearch. One developer I assigned to research it, says they are using OpenSearch in just a simple way.

We are building a library for health communications materials.  We built one of the largest clearing houses for Covid-19 behavioral health communications materials, and want to improve our practices. .We are also considering publishing a schema because organizations like the World Health Organization and the CDC have no parallels in formatting of their materials to be searchable and filterable.

Looking to make sure we build our next search with the best practices for usability and interoperability.

  • How do I find great uses of the Open Search protocol?
  • Any materials that show that it is worth investing in following these protocols?
Thank you for your work,

Kalman

Denver Geeks

Apr 9, 2021, 7:22:21 PM4/9/21
to OpenSearch
I am interested in this as well. Any resources or examples would be very much appreciated!

Ruth Duerr

Apr 9, 2021, 7:38:37 PM4/9/21
to opens...@googlegroups.com
You might start at https://earthdata.nasa.gov/esdis/eso/standards-and-references/ceos-opensearch and https://wiki.earthdata.nasa.gov/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=82511872 which also links to best practices guidance for OpenSearch in the Earth Sciences...  As you note NASA earth sciences uses it and it is also used internationally.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 9, 2021, at 5:22 PM, Denver Geeks <j...@denvergeeks.com> wrote:

I am interested in this as well. Any resources or examples would be very much appreciated!

Raymond Berger

Apr 28, 2021, 12:22:31 AM4/28/21
to OpenSearch
Open Library is working on adding support: https://github.com/internetarchive/openlibrary/pull/5104