OpenSearch validation

Doug Newman

Nov 11, 2015, 3:51:35 PM11/11/15
to OpenSearch
Hey,

 I to am a member of the Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (http://www.esipfed.org/). I'd like to draw your attention to a validation tool that we have been working on.

You can find it here: https://api.echo.nasa.gov/cwic-smart/validations

This validation tool will take an OpenSearch Descriptor Document (OSDD) URL as input. It will then download that OSDD and validate its contents against a number of specifications, extensions, best practices and development guides. Each validation has a score between 0 (failed) and 5 (perfect score).

Things to note about this process,

  • Some parts of the validation process will entail executing a query derived from the OSDD. This is done by combining the template URL information with the Query example element information.
  • If the information in the Query element does not resolve to a valid query of your OpenSearch API then we cannot validate certain functionality
For example, an OSDD with an ATOM URL template of:
          <os:Url type="application/atom+xml" rel="collection" params:method="GET" template="https://foo.com/resource.atom?keywords={os:searchTerms}&clientId=foo">

And an example query element of:
          <os:Query role="example" searchTerms="MODIS"/>

Would resolve to a query of:
          https://foo.com/resource.atom?keywords=MODIS&clientId=foo

And this query will be executed with the expectation that one or more result entries will be returned.

You can use this tool to test your implementation against the base OpenSearch specification and a number of extensions. We also focus on a number of Earth Science guides and best practices.

Feedback is welcome. Cheers.