OpenWebSearch.EU & OpenSearch

Gerben

Sep 29, 2022, 3:49:17 PM9/29/22
to OpenSearch

Hi all, I just joined this list to for two reasons:

Firstly, to share a project possibly of interest to people here, that is the OpenWebSearch.EU project that was launched recently: “Over the next three years the researchers will develop the core of a European Open Web Index (OWI) as a basis for a new Internet Search in Europe.”

The idea of OpenWebSearch is to grow a modular ecosystem of crawlers, indexers, search algorithms and user interfaces; not a monolithic search engine. Perhaps the OpenSearch protocol could even play a role in this, e.g. to connect between user interfaces and search engines in this ecosystem.

Secondly, and more generally, I have been wondering if the OpenSearch protocol could use more exposure. Especially with the (domain) name opensearch.org having been repurposed for an ElasticSearch fork, people looking for the OpenSearch protocol might not find it as easily; and if they do, they might get the impression it is an abandoned relic of the past — while to my knowledge it is still the most relevant/only(?) protocol for interoperable search engines.

Do any of you (and DeWitt most of all) have opinions on whether the specification needs/deserves a website or other ‘home’ again, perhaps with updated documentation, in order to promote its continued use? Is there still interest in the OpenSearch protocol?

Kind regards,

— Gerben, NLnet (a partner in the OWS project)

OpenPGP_0xE5860489090CA5B9.asc
OpenPGP_signature

Sven

Nov 23, 2022, 5:27:34 AM11/23/22
to OpenSearch
I think that OpenSearch is still an important standard, expecially for smaller and specialized search engine. A stable and visible place would be good.

BTW: What should one use as namespace reference instead of  http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/ , which seems to be gone?