Help with importing XML

getrea...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 2:33:38 AM7/20/17
to Open Scriptures
I apologize if this seems overly simplistic or misguided.... Im a access/SQL db guy and have been for years but I never work with xml.

Im trying to make a tool to help me learn Biblical Hebrew as sort of a flashcard thing. The easiest tool is to simply import into Access (or SQL) and have words, but also connect to the Strongs Roots and BDB and have a way to drill for pronunciation, and learnt he root (or Strongs assumptions of it) and then additional meanings.

I have spent days trying to import the xml files into Access and it seems like there is something being totally missed. All the research Ic an do seems to point that the xml file itself simply isnt importing all the fields or possibly even the table structure. A lot of times there are simply errors even importing the xml.

If anyone has any pointers. Ive tried everything Ic an think of with every file I could find iny oru set up. This would be such an amazing resource for learning for me and Id love to make it available via the web for other people like me who want to learn biblical Hebrew but dont have the ability of time or resources to learn via school etc...

Note: I DID make something happen with a set of xml files under the morpohology section. I can put things together a bit, but it is clear a lot fo things are actually not linked corectly.

I also took in the data from WLC and parsed each word, cleaned it up and then made a table with word count but it seems like large amounts are missing. YHVH for instance is 4000 instances, yet I hear it is well over 8000 times

thanks in advance for any help. This is a precious thing for me, and an amazing privilege ot handle the scriptures and learn at all.

Troy A. Griffitts

Jul 20, 2017, 7:03:28 AM7/20/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but might be useful.

CrossWire has an opensource language learning flashcard program with many Greek and Hebrew community contributed lessions-- many of which follow the vocabulary in popular grammar textbooks.

We originally wrote it for old candybar (non-smart) phones, but there is a desktop version and also a web version that is formatted small enough to work reasonably well on connected smartphones.  I think there is also a tool to create flashcard lessons automatically sorted by word frequency across a specified range of text.  For example, if you have a Hebrew study group reading through Isaiah and are, this week, in chapter 23, then you can ask it for flashcards of only the words in Is.23-25.  Here are the links:

http://crosswire.org/flashcards

http://crosswire.org/fc (candybar phone J2me install files)

http://crosswire.org/fc/web (mini web frontend) (still kindof experimental, but mostly works)

source: http://crosswire.org/svn/flashcards/

Hope this might be helpful,

Troy

James Cuénod

Jul 20, 2017, 10:23:31 AM7/20/17
to Open Scriptures
Ja, my first reaction is that you should try Anki - the trick with flash cards is spaced repetition so check out supermemo for a good algorithm on that front but anki already implements a version of it and has loads of flash cards (including biblical hebrew).

As far as working with xml files, Mysql actually has "LOAD XML" (see https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/load-xml.html) - depending on what your xml looks like, that may help.

You'll probably end up having to do some coding though in which case, pick a language you feel most comfortable with and try importing a package to assist you.
If you use python, I would say you should take a look at lxml's etree
> from lxml import etree

Nigel Chapman

Jul 20, 2017, 10:32:30 AM7/20/17
to Open Scriptures
A quick comment or two, as I've done XML-to-DB for the Greek NT. If you're like me there's the learning objective and also the tech objective that you'll want to reach.

1) "YHVH for instance is 4000 instances, yet I hear it is well over 8000 times" -- If you get good as XPath you can easily query exactly how many instances there are in your source file. It's a powerful way of making XML work for you.

2) Something like SimpleXML in PHP (there will be similar things in other languages) can iterate through just the word entries, say (again, with an XPath selector to identify the nodes you want to visit). That gives you a 2D structure that corresponds pretty well to a database, and you're on your way. I used the attached script to rip the whole Septuagint from an XML file for my Hexap.la site.

Nigel.
ripLxx.php

Nigel Chapman

Jul 20, 2017, 10:37:46 AM7/20/17
to Open Scriptures
Or in Ruby, pure XML to SQL... (attached)
ripStrongsToSql.rb

Robert

Jul 21, 2017, 2:46:29 PM7/21/17
to Open Scriptures