Data Recommendations

Jesse Tomlinson

Aug 3, 2020, 3:04:40 PM8/3/20
to Open Scriptures
Hello, I'm new to Group and also very new to the world of Scripture apps and data. Please excuse my ignorance on many levels.

I'm starting a new project and am looking for a way to map the English word(s) to the source Original word(s). I've seen interlinear data (Strongs), but that seems to only map to the lexical form or root form (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here). Over the past few months, I have been browsing the web and have been overwhelmed by the number of apps and data sources that exist. Do you all have any recommendations for where I could find/use this word level translation data for both Hebrew and Greek?

I'm also still trying to wrap my head around the various manuscript collections (not sure if that's the correct term) and which English translations use which manuscript collection. Is there a resource that keeps track or lists the main ones?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

pierre amadio

Aug 4, 2020, 3:32:57 AM8/4/20
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

As you are looking for a way to map the English word(s) to the source
Original word(s), using Strong's tagged text for both english and
greek/hebrew version would let you easily map each one. The only
"intelligent" decision left to do would be to decide which word maps
to which in sentence where a given Strong's word would occurs more
than one time.

This can be done with the sword library and some module with Strong's tagging.

https://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp

Greek, hebrew and KJV (there may be other translation with Strongs data).

https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=MorphGNT
https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=LXX
https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=OSHB
https://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=KJV

Using the diatheke command line tool (by example "diatheke -b MorphGNT
-o an -f plain -k John 1:1") , you can display the Strong's number,
all what is left is to "draw the line" between each text :

John 1:1: In <G1722> the beginning <G746> was <G2258> the Word <G3588>
<G3056>, and <G2532> the Word <G3588> <G3056> was <G2258> with <G4314>
God <G3588> <G2316>, and <G2532> the Word <G3588> <G3056> was <G2258>
God <G2316>.
(KJV)

John 1:1: Ἐν <G1722> ἀρχῇ <G0746> ἦν <G1510> ὁ <G3588> λόγος <G3056>,
καὶ <G2532> ὁ <G3588> λόγος <G3056> ἦν <G1510> πρὸς <G4314> τὸν
<G3588> θεόν <G2316>, καὶ <G2532> θεὸς <G2316> ἦν <G1510> ὁ <G3588>
λόγος <G3056>.
(MorphGNT)

The Sword libary in itself is in C++ . There are wrapper for python.

I do not know how to make something smarter than that, but if I had
to, i think i would look for the following project for the greek part
of the problem:

https://github.com/biblissima/eulexis

I use a web frontend to get automatic greek parsing and i find it impressive:

https://outils.biblissima.fr/fr/eulexis/

If anyone knows of something like this for hebrew, please let us know.

Nigel Chapman

Aug 4, 2020, 10:25:50 AM8/4/20
to Open Scriptures
It might help to know what language you'll be working in. Lots of Bible projects on GitHub could have the stuff you need already, or at least save you a lot of rework.

Jesse Tomlinson

Aug 9, 2020, 11:38:21 AM8/9/20
to Open Scriptures
@Nigel - I'm planning to use javascript. I found this github repo that I've been looking at: https://github.com/javascripture/javascripture

@amadio - so basically just use the strong's number from the original language text (Greek/Hebrew), then map that to the same strong's number in an English translation? If that's the idea, my question would be, how many English translations have strong's number annotations? and would that mean there would be a need for a different underlying  source text (Greek/Hebrew) with strong's number annotations?

pierre amadio

Aug 9, 2020, 11:55:03 AM8/9/20
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Jesse, i do not know if there are other english sword modules that
comes with strong's number (i did not find any, but it may exist).

The other modules i mentioned provide hebrew bible, new testament and
LXX in greek with strong's numbers.

Ben Dwyer

Aug 18, 2020, 6:49:55 AM8/18/20
to Open Scriptures
Hi Jesse

I created javascripture - the data comes from various sources - some crosswire modules, some openscriptures repos.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer them :)

Ben Dwyer

Aug 18, 2020, 6:51:25 AM8/18/20
to Open Scriptures
As far as I know there are very few text tagged with strongs numbers - the ones I know about are:

KJV
ESV
WEB
morphb
tischendorf

Ben Dwyer

Aug 18, 2020, 7:00:02 AM8/18/20
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Also note that Javascripture is open source, so feel free to use as much of it as you want. You could also fork it, or if you have ideas for how it could be improved feel free to submit PRs!