Finding usable (parsable) hebrew/greek texts with strong's numbers?

sup...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2013, 2:23:20 AM1/27/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've been looking at writing a study bible app for android. What I did was look at a few of the existing study bibles which allow you to do parallel view and then display strongs information for hebrew/greek texts.

I appear to be struggling to find bibles in some parsable format (such as xml, or sql). I have some hebrew and greek texts, but when I search through the hebrew/greek strong references using the hebrew/greek words they are not in there.

I suspect I actually need a bible that has a strongs reference for each hebrew/greek word so instead of using the heberew or greek word to search, I have to use the strong's number to search.

I would appreciate some help in working out where I can find some usable Bible data that I need.
Thanks,
Fabian

David Troidl

Jan 27, 2013, 12:53:51 PM1/27/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabian,

On the Hebrew side, check out our OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible
http://openscriptures.github.com/morphhb/
There are links to download the Hebrew bible, with augmented Strong
numbers. I have also just updated the Hebrew Lexicon to a new form
(follow the link for Hebrew Lexicon, and read the readme) that makes
both Strong's Hebrew Dictionary and an abridged form of Brown, Driver,
Briggs accessible through the augmented Strong numbers. The Strong
numbers have been augmented by adding a, b, c, etc. to distinguish
various BDB entries.

For the Greek, check out
https://github.com/morphgnt
The Tischendorf text has been complete with Strong numbers and
morphology for some time. Work is in progress on the SBL GNT. The SBL
GNT is probably a better text, if they have progressed far enough.
Strong's Greek Dictionary is also available on the same site.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

David

David Troidl

Jan 27, 2013, 5:08:50 PM1/27/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

One correction: for the Hebrew Lexicon, you'll have to go to
https://github.com/openscriptures/HebrewLexicon
You can use the ZIP button to get an archive of the files.

Peace,

David
Message has been deleted

Jesse Griffin

Jan 28, 2013, 10:19:36 PM1/28/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, sup...@gmail.com
Fabian,

Thanks for the script.  I tested it out and it works great.

If you aren't claiming full copyrights on the script, it would be nice if you could include the license with the script.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM, <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks David, I think I now have a python script that compiles this data into a strongs concordance sqlite database and generates a hebrew bible sqlite database.

I've attached the script in case others may find it of help.

sup...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 10:29:04 PM1/28/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, sup...@gmail.com
No copyright, I don't know anything about licensing though, are you referring to the open scriptures license found in thier code files?

Jesse Griffin

Jan 28, 2013, 10:59:38 PM1/28/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, sup...@gmail.com
Fabian,

If you don't want to claim any copy right then you can just add a line that says "Public Domain."  Alternately, you could choose a license from the Open Source Initiative, maybe something like the MIT license: http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php.

The important thing is that you define a license, otherwise, by default you retain the full copyright (at least in the US).

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

Russell Allen

Jan 29, 2013, 12:05:43 AM1/29/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
For the benefit of those of us outside the US, it is better to use the Creative Commons Zero licence - http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0 - than simply saying "Public Domain".

(Or one of the other CC licences of course)

Russell

sup...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2013, 4:15:27 AM1/29/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, sup...@gmail.com
Thanks David, I think I now have a python script that compiles this data into a strongs concordance sqlite database and generates a hebrew bible sqlite database.

I've attached the script in case others may find it of help.
(Now with MIT license)
generate_bible_and_strongs.py

Jesse Griffin

Jan 29, 2013, 11:08:10 PM1/29/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, Fabian Mathews
Fabian,

Awesome, thanks!

Russell,

Thanks for the tip, I'll recommend CC0 in the future for those wishing to claim no copyright.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

Jorge Murillo

May 13, 2023, 11:15:25 PM5/13/23
to Open Scriptures
Hi, I'm currently using the "Translation Tables" from BibleHub as a source for parallel text for my two apps:
"Tanakh Read Along" : Full Tanakh parallel Hebrew/Phonetics/English with audio in sync
"Literary Rendition": In progress: Tanakh, Poetry in other languages, New Testament in Greek.

That database has strongs for each word. From there I used XML strongs databases I found in Github to complete information and show it in flashcards.