please bring back http://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/ in consulting mode only

Thierry Tchiakpe

Jul 16, 2019, 11:28:22 AM7/16/19
to OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible

the parsing in https://javascripture.org/… is not complete as in http://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/ please bring backhttp://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/ in consulting mode only for more complete parsing.

there is no complete parsing website available on the web like

 http://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/ please bring it back we need to consult parsing for our works. thanks in advance.

Jesse Griffin

Jul 17, 2019, 9:35:03 AM7/17/19
to OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible
David, et. al,

I'm wondering if we could setup a page/site that is very similar to the OSHB Verse demo you have written at https://hb.openscriptures.org/structure/OshbVerse/ but instead shows a whole chapter at a time.  Instead of showing the cantillation structure, it would just be a way to read the text and get the hover over parsing information.  The huge benefit would be zero maintenance cost as its Javascript being served by Github.

Any idea what it would take to create something like this?

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

David Troidl

Jul 17, 2019, 4:33:22 PM7/17/19
to openscri...@googlegroups.com

Jesse,

I was just looking at OSHB Verse this morning, thinking it shouldn't be too hard to add click handlers to the words. Then I could show the interpretation of the morphology code that appears in the popup.

If it's only the morph codes that are needed, they already appear in the OSHB Verse popups. It only displays one verse at a time, but for reference it may already work.

To transition the app to show full chapters, I'd have to look into it a little more. It shouldn't be that hard, though. Personally, I display one verse at a time in my local Verse app. That also has lexicon lookup functionality, though with the two separate Github repos, that may be more of a challenge.

Input about the right decision would be appreciated.

Peace,

David

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:28 AM Thierry Tchiakpe <jtch...@gmail.com> wrote:

the parsing in??https://javascripture.org/?????is not complete as in??http://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/??please bring backhttp://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/??in consulting mode only for more complete parsing.

there is no complete parsing website available on the web like??

??http://hb.ekfocus.com/OshbParse/??please bring it back we need to consult parsing for our works. thanks in advance.

Jesse Griffin

Jul 18, 2019, 2:15:02 PM7/18/19
to OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible
My opinion is that a chapter based view that does not show the cantillation structure would be valuable.  This would something of a "reader view" with parsing information on hover.

It would be good to hear from Thierry whether that would meet his needs.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

David Troidl

Jul 21, 2019, 2:23:31 PM7/21/19
to openscri...@googlegroups.com

The initial release of OSHB Read has been released at https://hb.openscriptures.org/read/. This is a minimal conversion of OSHB Verse to accomplish the goals for reading and accessing morphology. The current version is for testing purposes, and comments are welcome.

Peace,

David

On 7/18/2019 2:14 PM, Jesse Griffin wrote:
My opinion is that a chapter based view that does not show the cantillation structure would be valuable.?? This would something of a "reader view" with parsing information on hover.

Jesse Griffin

Jul 29, 2019, 8:08:18 AM7/29/19
to OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible, jtch...@gmail.com
Hi David,

Excellent work on getting the OSHB Read site put together so quickly!

Thierry, have you had a chance to check out the new reader site at https://hb.openscriptures.org/read/ ?

I think the most helpful feature to add would be the full name of the parsing codes instead of just the code itself.

It would also be interesting to make multiple pop-ups based on the word dividers too.  So a word with 3 parts would have 3 pop ups depending on which part of the word you are hovering on.  Of course, this would surely be more difficult to build!  However, if you added this then it would also make sense to remove the forward slash ("/") token dividers from the display.

Great work, David, and thank you for putting that together!

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

David Troidl

Jul 29, 2019, 7:13:11 PM7/29/19
to openscri...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jesse,

Thank you.

It would be good to hear from Thierry.

To get the full verbal form of the parsing, just click on a word. It seems to me it would be unwieldy to stuff all that into a popup. In doing this, I encapsulated the whole morphology interpreter into one JavaScript file, so this will take the place of a demonstration of that functionality, too.

I started adding the segmentation to the text I submitted for the SWORD module. Though the <seg> element in OSIS doesn't allow @morph, to split up the parsing. This would be a bigger step, something I would have to think about.

Currently, I am pondering, and doing some testing, regarding the question from Rabbi Kadish. If I can get URL references to the selected verse, this would make sharing and bookmarking feasible on OSHB Verse. It could also be applied, later on, to OSHB Read. This seems like another big item on the wish list.

I actually started thinking in this direction on Sunday, before the email came. I was wondering if we could get Lexicon lookup working in OSHB Read. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

David

On 7/29/2019 8:08 AM, Jesse Griffin wrote:
Hi David,

Excellent work on getting the OSHB Read site put together so quickly!??

Thierry, have you had a chance to check out the new reader site at https://hb.openscriptures.org/read/ ?

I think the most helpful feature to add would be the full name of the parsing codes instead of just the code itself.

It would also be interesting to make multiple pop-ups based on the word dividers too.?? So a word with 3 parts would have 3 pop ups depending on which part of the word you are hovering on.?? Of course, this would surely be more difficult to build!?? However, if you added this then it would also make sense to remove the forward slash ("/") token dividers from the display.

Jesse Griffin

Jul 31, 2019, 8:34:53 AM7/31/19
to OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible, David Troidl
David,

Yes, I think lexicon information would be really helpful in addition to the morphology. We've done it all in the same pop up in our translationCore software, like this:
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 8.33.22 AM.png

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

David Troidl

Jul 31, 2019, 7:37:54 PM7/31/19
to Jesse Griffin, OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible

Jesse,

Your popup looks like a lot more sophisticated thing than mine. It also appears that it requires a click to close it. So apparently it's more like my Morphology Display, only on a moveable basis. I suppose I could probably make the Morphology Display work on a hover basis, rather than requiring a click. I'm not sure that's preferable.

The segmentation might also help to reduce the clutter. That, though, would require more thought and more work.

The real question about the Lexicon is the implementation. Right now OSHB Read is reading directly from the source files. To include lexical information, I would have to access the lexicon files, from another repository. If I could find a way of loading at least BDB, in the background, and keeping it available for queries, without repeatedly loading a file bigger than any of the biblical books, that might work.

I found, for some reason, HebrewLexicon is no longer listed under my repos. I can access it through OpenScriptures, but that way I have no access to the Settings. To load any of the lexicon files on the fly, like we do the OSHB, there would have to be a gh-pages branch for the lexicon, too.

More thought, or a good revelation, should help to resolve some of these issues.

Peace,

David

Jesse Griffin

Aug 1, 2019, 7:58:15 AM8/1/19
to David Troidl, OpenScriptures Hebrew Bible
You've got access to the settings now, David.  In the case of the Hebrew Lexicon, you can set the master branch to be the source for the Github Pages generation.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin