Cantillation Demo Rewrite

David Troidl

Feb 17, 2017, 6:18:53 PM2/17/17
to OSHB
Hi,

The cantillation demo has been thoroughly redesigned, to be more
streamlined and efficient.
http://openscriptures.github.io/morphhb/structure/OshbVerse/
We now have popups, to display the word data, including lemma,
morphology and cantillation. The same data could be used to provide
lexicon lookup, morphology expansion and deeper cantillation study.

The code, and much fuller readme can still be found at
https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb/tree/master/structure/OshbVerse
The various components, and their dependencies, are described in the readme.

Thanks to Austen for promoting our project, and the cantillation
display, through our Twitter page: @OSHebrewBible.

Peace,

David

---

Butrus Damaskus

Apr 6, 2017, 7:06:23 AM4/6/17
to David Troidl, OSHB
Dear David!

I'm glad that someone takes such an efford to show a verse structure according to the cantilation. Unfortunatelly I'm quite certain that your way of analysis ist quite wrong. The best method I've seen is one developed by rabbi Mordechaj Breuer. The main difference is that accpoding to his method a) each verse is divided strictly in a binary mean, b) the accents of the same "rank" became of a lower rank each time they are used within a particular cluster. In such a way one can observe that the division by the cantilation follows very tighly the synctatic division of the verse (in contrary to what you are presenting on github).

For example if you take Gen 1:2, the correct division would be:

  (((we-haaretz) ((hayta) (tohu-wabohu))) ((we-choshek) (al-peney tehom)))  |  (((we-ruah elohim) ((merahepet) (al-pney hamayim))))

If you wish I can describe to you more the appropriate algorith more precisely...

Petr Tomášek