disabling component comments or combining comments within a project?

Rachelle Annechino

Feb 7, 2018, 3:29:47 PM2/7/18
to Open Science Framework
Hello,

I've been poking around trying out OSF and overall I love it, and am hoping to use it with a research group.

One thing I'm trying to figure out though is if there's a way to disable separate chats for each component within a parent project, or maybe combine different chats into one view? Separate comments on documents are awesome and I think would be intuitive for my colleagues, but at the component level I'm afraid it would end in tragedy and tears.

If there is an official way to do this or if anyone has ideas for some sort of workaround, I would be very grateful.

Rachelle

David Mellor

Feb 7, 2018, 3:58:47 PM2/7/18
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rachelle,

(I think Becca responded to you directly, but in case others on the list are interested...)

Thanks for reaching out and for using the OSF. You can configure the commenting on your projects and components through its settings tab (information here: http://help.osf.io/m/collaborating/l/524111-comment-on-a-project#Configure-commenting). To set your desired communication frequency, you can change your notification settings (http://help.osf.io/m/projects/l/524110-configure-notifications).

While you cannot turn off commenting altogether (though you can limit it only to project contributors), a workaround could be to make a first comment on each component with some instructions on how you prefer folks to communicate (e.g. "Please put all comments on individual files or on the main project page here URL"). However, allowing your team members to comment specifically on the "data" or "questionnaires" components (for example) may be helpful for the team. Finally: we've added your suggestion to our feature request tracking for future development and improvement.

Thanks again!

Best,
David