OSF and Citzen Science

Svetlana Belkin

Feb 7, 2019, 8:46:34 PM2/7/19
to Open Science Framework
Hi all,

I'm a volunteer at Grailville, where I practice Open and Citizen Science by testing their ponds and researching solutions on organically maintaining them. This practice lead me into thinking about the methodologies that can be used. Would the Framework be subtle for citizen science? My only thought is preregistering could be useful. If not, are there any groups that deal with methodologies for citizen science?  Or are there any methodologies to start with?

Thank you,
Svetlana Belkin

Philip Durbin

Feb 8, 2019, 2:58:02 AM2/8/19
to Open Science Framework
I would suggest checking out https://publiclab.org

Svetlana Belkin

Feb 8, 2019, 8:12:58 AM2/8/19
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com

I already have checked them out, but it's not what I'm really looking at. Sure they do have methodologies but they are more for air, land, and water quality. My scope is more of a general one.

Alicia Hofelich Mohr

Feb 8, 2019, 8:45:51 AM2/8/19
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Svetlana,

I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but you may also want to check out the zooniverse projects, which include citizen science studies across disciplines. We've had some researchers make their code/materials open via our institutional repository. I believe all these projects use the zooniverse platform for managing data collection, rather than OSF.

Best,
Alicia
Alicia Hofelich Mohr, Ph.D.
Research Support Services Coordinator
College of Liberal Arts LATIS
University of Minnesota | 612-626-8456
Pronouns: she, her, hers

David Mellor

Feb 8, 2019, 8:53:29 AM2/8/19
to openscienc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Svetlana,

The OSF would be suitable for managing citizen science projects because of its data storage options and guided workflow for preregistration, which can be helpful if you are planning a study with a very specific hypothesis. https://osf.io/prereg

Here's a search string of citizen science projects https://osf.io/search/?q=citizen%20science&page=1 and here are projects tagged with "citizen science": https://osf.io/search/?q=tags:(%22citizen%20science%22)&page=1

For other resources about methodologies, best practices, and quality assurance in citizen science projects, I recommend looking into the resources available from the citizen science association and the Cornell lab or ornithology: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/citscitoolkit/toolkit/steps

Finally, citsci.org has a lot of great protocols speifically for citizen scientists about would be a great place to check out: https://www.citsci.org Their shared data sheets could be a good way to design your project, particularly if you're thinking about a monitoring program and want some guidance on what measures to take.

Best,
David

Svetlana Belkin

Feb 11, 2019, 4:49:53 PM2/11/19
to Open Science Framework
I'm using this reply for both Alice's and David's reply because it applies for both. Thank you both for your replies.

Do you if all of these organizations (including Public Lab) work together?

Thank you,
Svetlana
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openscienceframework+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

David Mellor