Costs in OpenRules

Chris Thompson

May 19, 2020, 1:30:46 PM5/19/20
to OpenRules

Regards. We are evaluating the possibility of using OpenRules as a rule engine in one of the largest banking companies in Latin America. However, we have some doubts in the Data Analytics team about how costs work and what they refer to as / unit.

Screenshot at May 18 20-00-04.png

I would like to know what you mean by unit. Is a unit a complete pipeline run per seconds? Since this is a real-time solution implemented with AWS we want to understand if we are calculating costs well.

For example, considering that it could be a real time solution, we will have a request to the rule engine per second. In other words, it will obviously exceed 30,000 executions. When this happens, will you begin to charge a cost per pipeline execution?

Regards.

support

May 19, 2020, 1:46:12 PM5/19/20
to OpenRules
Hi Chris,

Here a unit is one execution of an OpenRules-based service. It doesn't matter how frequently you execute your service every: second or once per day - we report each execution to AWS metering service and it will bill your AWS account monthly by using the pricing information below.  After the first free 30,000 executions, every execution will cost $0.025 or $0.015. If you plan to execute your service every second, at some point, SaaS model will become prohibitively expensive – see Pricing Considerations. That’s why you have an alternative – you may purchase a Yearly Subscription (to obtain OpenRules development and run-time licenses), deploy your service not as AWS Lambda but for example using AWS EC2 instance, your will receive an unlimited number of executions, and your cost will immediately get under control. OpenRules gives you all deployment options and it’s up to you how to choose the one that fits your particular business in the best way. We'd be glad to address any other question you may have.

OpenRules Support