Auctioning multiple impression types within the same request

George Eracleous

May 12, 2017, 6:22:26 AM5/12/17
to openrtb-user
Hey everyone,

I would like to get your thoughts and best practices on the next following topic:

How (as an exchange) can we auction multiple imp types such as native, video and banner within the same bid request?

Some possible approaches are:

  1. The DSP will supply different endpoints for the different ad types (e.g one for banner demand and another for native)
    • This ofc means higher bandwidth costs for both sides
  2. Since the protocol allows it the same imp object can include many impression type objects such as banner or video. However, it also mentions that it's preferred that only one is includes plus that the DSP should only bid on at most one of those types.
  3. Include more than one imp objects in the imp array where each imp will auction one of the types.
So the question is: What is currently the approach followed by the majority in the market?

Best,
George

Benji Weber

May 12, 2017, 6:58:23 AM5/12/17
to openrt...@googlegroups.com
Hello George,

I don't have the answer but also very interested in this.

In our case we have multiple video imp types we'd like to auction within the same bid request.

We're currently working around the problem by (ab)using PMP deal ids to allow buyers to express a preference for one type over another.

We've also been considering sending multiple imp objects in the imp array but the bidrequests can quickly get huge with a few permutation of impression types to offer.

--
benji

The contents of this email are confidential and the information in it may not be disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately.

Unruly Group Limited - Registered in England No. 5411297, VAT #: 108 2572 28
Registered Office: The White Chapel Building, 15 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS

Laura Morillo