How to identify MVAS Ads in Mobile Advertising domain

183 views
Skip to first unread message

Prashant Thakkar

unread,
Jan 12, 2017, 9:45:13 AM1/12/17
to openrtb-dev
Hello,

I am working for a Mobile Adtech company in India. From quite a few time we are trying to find ways in which we can announce whether ad is MVAS or not. Also we are trying to find a way in which DSP's can declare their ads as MVAS or not.

Need: In Mobile echo system especially in EM (India), there are many advertisers who promote MVAS ads and charges users. Such kind of ads are not accepted by good developers who cares for their users.

I am not aware if their is any thread already on this lines. Just wanted to bring the need of somehow say whether the ad is chargeable to user or not.

Ian Trider

unread,
Jan 12, 2017, 1:57:28 PM1/12/17
to openrtb-dev
If I'm understanding correctly, you're referring to ads which are promoting offers that, if signed up for, are direct-billed to the customers mobile phone bill (like ringtones, etc.)?

It seems to me that this can be handled with a custom blocked category.  The spec doesn't require the IAB Content Category Taxonomy be used for bcat; exchanges could introduce a custom category for this, if they want to.  The challenge seems to be more of a business one than a technical one.

Prashant Thakkar

unread,
Jan 12, 2017, 2:24:58 PM1/12/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hello, 

IAN you got it right but every DSP may have their own custom category list. As an exchange if I am integrated with 50 DSPs it will be difficult to deal with. 

In real world most of the DSP only implement required or recommendate field. In such cases it becomes even more difficult.

I recommend if something is brought under creative attribute both SSP and DSP can use it. (Just a suggestion).




-
Regards
Prashant Thakkar
skype: prashantnt
Ph: 9172345491

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "openrtb-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/openrtb-dev/jvGK9FSX7yw/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to openrtb-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Ian Trider

unread,
Jan 13, 2017, 1:45:31 PM1/13/17
to openrtb-dev
Hi Prashant,  if we're talking about something in bcat, it would be the other way around -- the exchanges would define the custom values, and DSPs would be expected to respect them. At least one major exchange does this to deal with some gaps in the IAB Content Taxonomy (such as Gambling-related ads). 

More broadly, I think we need a project to produce a proper Advertiser category taxonomy.. the IAB Content Categories don't work very well for this purpose.  I'm not sure if such an effort is under way, but this would under the scope of the Taxonomy working group, I think.


On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 2:24:58 PM UTC-5, Prashant Thakkar wrote:
Hello, 

IAN you got it right but every DSP may have their own custom category list. As an exchange if I am integrated with 50 DSPs it will be difficult to deal with. 

In real world most of the DSP only implement required or recommendate field. In such cases it becomes even more difficult.

I recommend if something is brought under creative attribute both SSP and DSP can use it. (Just a suggestion).




-
Regards
Prashant Thakkar
skype: prashantnt
Ph: 9172345491
On 13-Jan-2017 12:27 am, "Ian Trider" <ia...@sitescout.com> wrote:
If I'm understanding correctly, you're referring to ads which are promoting offers that, if signed up for, are direct-billed to the customers mobile phone bill (like ringtones, etc.)?

It seems to me that this can be handled with a custom blocked category.  The spec doesn't require the IAB Content Category Taxonomy be used for bcat; exchanges could introduce a custom category for this, if they want to.  The challenge seems to be more of a business one than a technical one.

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 9:45:13 AM UTC-5, Prashant Thakkar wrote:
Hello,

I am working for a Mobile Adtech company in India. From quite a few time we are trying to find ways in which we can announce whether ad is MVAS or not. Also we are trying to find a way in which DSP's can declare their ads as MVAS or not.

Need: In Mobile echo system especially in EM (India), there are many advertisers who promote MVAS ads and charges users. Such kind of ads are not accepted by good developers who cares for their users.

I am not aware if their is any thread already on this lines. Just wanted to bring the need of somehow say whether the ad is chargeable to user or not.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "openrtb-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/openrtb-dev/jvGK9FSX7yw/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to openrtb-dev...@googlegroups.com.

jenn...@iab.com

unread,
Jan 23, 2017, 1:55:58 PM1/23/17
to openrtb-dev
Hi Prashant,

The Taxonomy working group will be addressing Advertiser category taxonomy. Let me know if you'd like to get involved with that effort and I'll connect you to my colleague leading the Taxonomy charge at IAB Tech Lab.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages