Bid response "bid.tactic" .. what's this for?

jgwi...@vindicotech.com

Jan 9, 2017, 5:51:49 PM1/9/17
to openrtb-dev
Can anyone tell me what this field is for?

tactic
string
Tactic ID to enable buyers to label bids for reporting to the exchange the tactic through which their bid was submitted. The specific usage and meaning of the tactic ID should be communicated between buyer and exchanges a priori.

What's the use case here?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Ian Trider

Jan 10, 2017, 1:36:12 PM1/10/17
to openrtb-dev
This was raised in the OpenRTB 2.4 workshop.

It is intended to be an identifier for the most specific object in the DSP's hierarchy.  In other words, a DSP that has a hierarchy like this would map their IDs as follows:

Advertiser
|--Campaign     --> cid
   |--Tactic    --> tactic

Of course, for us the terminology is different, as it will be with most DSPs, but that's the spirit.  I can't recall who requested this but it was intended to allow sellers to communicate insight more precisely about PMP deals.