OR11.2 64bit on Windows - Installing into Actian X 11.2 64bit installation.

Adrian Williamson

Jul 28, 2021, 9:27:44 AM7/28/21
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I just upgraded our Actian X 11.2 64bit DB from beta to GA (II 11.2.0 (a64.win/100)) on Windows – all good.

I then downloaded the installer for OpenROAD 11.2 64bit and ran it up -  but it is not giving me the option to install into the Actian X 11.2 installation.

I read the readme in the OR11.2 installation and I note that it only supports:

The 32-bit version of OpenROAD 11.2 and the 64-bit version of OpenROAD 11.2 are supported on the following platforms:

      Windows 10

      Windows Server 2016

      Windows Server 2019

The 64-bit version of OpenROAD 11.2 must be installed on a 64-bit Windows machine.

The Installation guide says:

Installation Options

64-bit OpenROAD uses setup.exe or ormsiexec11.bat to install 64-bit OpenROAD 11.2 on Windows machines. 64-bit OpenROAD can be installed into an existing 64-bit Actian X instance or a Standalone Net Client (S/A Net) can be configured by the installer. If the 64-bit Ingres 11.2 is configured as a DBMS instance, an Actian Ingres 11.2 license must be configured. If the 64-bit Ingres 11.2 is configured as a S/A Net Client instance, an Actian License is required if installing OpenROAD Development or OpenROAD Server. OpenROAD 11.2 cannot be installed into an existing Actian X Client Runtime.

Is it because I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Service Pack 1 aka an Amazon Instance?

Cheers

Adrian.

PS OR11.2 32 bit – who would have thought…might save me some grief though.

image003.jpg

Chris Clark

Jul 28, 2021, 10:39:51 AM7/28/21
to OpenROAD Users Mailing List

Is it because I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Service Pack 1 aka an Amazon Instance?PS OR11.2 32 bit – who would have thought…might save me some grief though.

I doubt it's the Amazon instance that's the issue. As you noted win2008 is not supported by 11.2 for either product.

You could try running the installer with debug trace and see if that gives you a hint, if not, open a support case and attach the two log files. I encourage you to plan moving a supported Windows version, but I would open the support case first to figure out what is going on.

Issue:

    setup.exe -Tyes -L %TEMP%\preinstaller.log -/appflags DEBUG=YES LOGFILE=YES

At the end of the preinstaller.log file, there is a path to the orinstall.log file. Both files need to be reviewed (or shared with Actian support). I.e. expect two log files:

  • preinstaller.log
  • orinstall.log

Regards,

Chris

a...@rationalcommerce.com

Jul 28, 2021, 10:47:57 AM7/28/21
to Chris Clark, OpenROAD Users Mailing List
Cheers Chris will give that a go now.

Adrian Williamson

Jul 28, 2021, 11:21:48 AM7/28/21
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

That preinstaller log doesn’t have a reference to orinstall.log at the bottom but it does have this near the top:

... gvmsilogfile = "C:\Users\adrian\setup_orinstall.log"

Which doesn’t exist.

There are a few installations on this box as you can see.

It’s Rational’s scrap yard where we take new shiny things and strip them down for parts…

The XI install is the new 11.2 Actian X :

Entered add_ingres_instances() ...

... Skipping II_SYSTEM = C:\Program Files\Actian\IngresXI

... Skip Reason =

Leaving add_ingres_instances()

Thoughts?

I will try it on a fresh box next week.

Cheers

Adrian

Brigitte Duplenne

Jul 28, 2021, 1:45:48 PM7/28/21
to openroa...@googlegroups.com, Chris Clark, Bodo Bergmann, Mahin Pandya

Hi Adrian,

It seems this is due to the installation id ‘XI’ (starting with ‘X’)

I just created installations Ingres 11.2 ‘XI’, ‘TT’, ‘BX’ and I see as potential  Ingres installations only ‘TT’ and ‘BX’.

We will be looking at it.

Brigitte

a...@rationalcommerce.com

Jul 28, 2021, 3:04:06 PM7/28/21
to Brigitte Duplenne, openroa...@googlegroups.com, Chris Clark, Bodo Bergmann, Mahin Pandya
Hello Brigitte

Thanks for checking that, having XI for an Ingres 11 install was just too tempting for one of us....

Cheers

Adrian