Upgrading OpenROAD 6.2 (32-bit) to OpenROAD 11.2 (64-bit)

Martin Bloomfield

Oct 18, 2021, 4:16:39 AM10/18/21
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

All,

We are looking at upgrading OpenROAD from version 6.2 to 11.2 and are considering the move from 32-bit to 64-bit.  However, we are unsure of whether we can do this and wondered if anyone has successfully done this and can provide any pointers or potential pitfalls?

Our initial questions are as follows:

Windows Desktop apps (full OpenROAD)

  • We have a number of OpenROAD applications that run on Windows 10 and Server 2016 that send email.  We currently do this by using the Microsoft MAPI controls 6 to connect to Outlook.  We are using the 32-bit version of Office.  Is there a work-around for this from a 64-bit version of OpenROAD; I believe 64-bit apps can’t access 32-bit dlls?
  • We also make a lot of calls to windows dlls for accessing registry and other functions; primarily to find location of office and adobe executables.  Will these need changing on moving to 64-bit OpenROAD?  The references to the dlls in the 3gl procedure declarations do not contain file paths.
  • Some of our batch processes (no GUI, running as scheduled tasks) make calls to vb-scripts.  I presume these will be unaffected as they use the “call system” command.  Is this correct?

Web Apps (accessing OpenROAD Server)

  • We have a lot of websites that make use of 32-bit dlls for things like Zipping files, generating checksums, hashing data.  Being .Net Framework WebApps, we use NuGet packages and other dlls for validation, report generation etc.  Currently each of these websites has a copy of the OR6.2 Ca.OpenROAD.dll and Ca.OpenROAD.Orrsolib.dll in the bin folder.
  • If we rebuild all the Application Server images as 64-bit and upgrade VOSA to the 64-bit version of OpenROAD, would we still be able to access them from the OR6.2 32-bit Ca.OpenROAD dlls in our websites?  The websites and VOSA are on the same server.

VB / C# .Net apps

  • We have a number of .Net applications (written in VB or C#) that make use of ODBC to connect to the database and then create emails for sending using Office controls.  If we upgrade to 64-bit OpenROAD, I assume that the Ingres/Net will also need to be upgraded to 64-bit Ingres11.2.  I suspect this will cause problems, as the applications are currently compiled for x86 CPU to allow connecting to the ODBC and Office components when running on 64-bit OS.  Is there a workaround for this, or does the 64-bit version of Ingres/Net provide ODBC connections that work under both 32 and 64-bit?

General:

  • Historically we have installed Ingres and OpenROAD in non-standard folders on our machines, and all our application shortcuts for the OpenROAD desktop apps, have this location defined in them.  I’ve tried installing the 32-bit version of OpenROAD 11.2 (using setup.exe) and was not able to choose where the software installs.
  • Is it possible to choose where to install IngresNet & OpenROAD to (under either 32-bit or 64-bit version)?  If not we are going to have to try updating all the shortcuts and getting users to update any shortcuts on their desktops.  Also on the OpenROAD servers, we have installed Ingres/OpenROAD to our E: drive to keep separate from the OS.  Will this be possible?

If anyone can provide any advice or guidance on performing the upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, that would be extremely helpful.

Martin Bloomfield
Application Developer & Database Administrator
Information Systems Development
Information, Technology and Facilities
Health and Safety Executive

YORK

martin.b...@hse.gov.uk

www.hse.gov.uk

Follow HSE on Twitter @H_S_E

Please note : Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our policy on the use of electronic communications and may be automatically logged, monitored and / or recorded for lawful purposes by the GSI service provider.

Interested in Occupational Health and Safety information?

Please visit the HSE website at the following address to keep yourself up to date

www.hse.gov.uk

Bodo Bergmann

Oct 18, 2021, 6:57:27 AM10/18/21
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Hello Martin,

See my answers below (marked with [Bodo]).

HTH.
Best regards,
Bodo.

Bodo Bergmann
Engineering Architect
Actian | OpenROAD Engineering
www.actian.com
GESELLSCHAFTSANGABEN: Actian Germany GmbH | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Halenreie 42, 22359 Hamburg | Geschäftsführung: Stephen Padgett, Marc Monahan | Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hamburg | HRB 135991 | USt-IdNr: DE252449897

    Oct 18, 2021, 7:43:33 AM10/18/21
    to openroa...@googlegroups.com

    Hello Bodo,

    Many thanks for your replies. They certainly give the detail I was looking for and information I need to discuss with the business.  Hopefully it will help them decide whether we go for a 32-bit upgrade to OR11.2; to get it done quickly; and plan for 64-bit when we have more time.

    Regards,

    Martin Bloomfield
    Application Developer & Database Administrator
    Information Systems Development
    Information, Technology and Facilities
    Health and Safety Executive

    YORK

    martin.b...@hse.gov.uk

    www.hse.gov.uk

    Follow HSE on Twitter @H_S_E

    Paul White

    Oct 19, 2021, 7:48:06 PM10/19/21
    to openroa...@googlegroups.com, Martin Bloomfield

    Hi Martin,

    My sites have been working on 64bit migration for some time. There are similar considerations to the ones you have raised.  One big ticket item has been 32bit crystal reports interface.  Years ago they developed a wrapper, I believe they plan to upgrade that to 64bit.  We are running the full OpenROAD runtime (and developer) 64bit stack along side the 32bit installation. Examples EmpowerHR 64bit, Peercore 32bit, MyWorkplace T&A 32bit.  32bit and 64bit ODBC can co-exist ok. 32bit and 64bit vnodes can co-exist. I don't think you can't do the same with the OpenROAD server installation.

    I have not had a problem overriding the location of OpenROAD install because I use ingres net to define create the desired location first.  The tricky bit is to undo system variables set by the secondary Ingres+OpenROAD installations.

    Paul

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openroad-users/CWLP123MB4868E8F4143DE0E638DF1952C6BC9%40CWLP123MB4868.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
    --
    Paul White<br>