ODBC and Long Byte issue

Martin Bloomfield

Dec 1, 2023, 11:14:26 AM12/1/23
to Openroad-Users

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone will be able to offer any advice. We have a project being undertaken that is trying to extract come of our Ingres data and move it into a MS SQL server / dynamics Dataverse database.  This is being done using SSIS with an ODBC connection (using the Ingres 3.50.1120.257 ODBC driver) to our Ingres 11.2 database.  The team are struggling with accessing tables that have columns defined as Longbyte.

Does anyone know whether the ODBC driver can handle longbyte data columns and if so, do you have to do anything “different / special” to read the data from Ingres?  If ODBC can’t handle Longbyte data, can anyone suggest how we can extract this data to port it to MS SQL?

Many thanks,

Martin Bloomfield
Senior Application Developer
Information Systems Development
Information and Technology Services

Health and Safety Executive
YORK

a...@rationalcommerce.com

Dec 1, 2023, 2:16:07 PM12/1/23
to 'Martin Bloomfield' via OpenROAD Users Mailing List, Adrian Williamson
Hi Martin

Are you going to use EA to access the MS-SQL DB from Actian/HCL products?

If not then:

I would extract your longbyte objects to a file system using OpenROAD if you still have access to a licence and use what ever native longbyte import SQL server provides.

Happy to chat about this offline in person if you want.

Send me an email if you do

Cheers

Adrian

Bodo Bergmann

Dec 1, 2023, 2:28:45 PM12/1/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

access to "long byte" data via the ODBC driver is supported according  to https://docs.actian.com/actianx/11.2/index.html#page/Connectivity/Large_Objects_(Blobs)_Support.htm

Obviously, the data has to be read in chunks.

HTH.
Regards,
Bodo.

Bodo Bergmann

Engineering Architect | OpenROAD Engineering

Actian, a division of HCLSoftware

actian.com    hcl-software.com

 GESELLSCHAFTSANGABEN: Actian Germany GmbH | Registry Off: Halenreie 42, 22359 Hamburg | Geschäftsführung: Stephen Padgett, Marc Monahan | HandelsregisterAmtsgericht Hamburg | HRB 135991 | USt-IdNr: DE252449897

Paul White

Dec 1, 2023, 8:36:26 PM12/1/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Williamson
I concur.
Reasonably simple coding.
You get the benefit of a separate file you can inspect directly.
You can also use.net provider for ingres.
Paul