Auto Complete Entry Field

Quinn Rayen

Apr 27, 2023, 3:14:27 AM4/27/23
to OpenROAD Users Mailing List
Hi,

We have a requirement to have an auto complete entry field to pick up address from the list. Initially the list will be blank, once the user starts entering some text, need to populate the filtered address list retrieved from a third-party URL.

I am unable to use the auto complete option field as the initial list is empty I cannot type a word in it.

Please advise the options available to implement this.
Thanks

Regards
Quinn

Adrian Williamson

Apr 27, 2023, 3:58:39 AM4/27/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Try using the BufferChanged event on a separate entry field and dynamically populate a separate option field?

You will get an event for each key press.

I have not tried the BufferChanged with option field style set to OF_EDITABLE , but I would give it a go until Bodo says it doesn’t….

Good luck

Adrian

Bodo Bergmann

Apr 27, 2023, 4:27:45 AM4/27/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

An OptionField does not have a BufferChanged event, so you would have to use it on an EntryField and have an additional ChoiceField (OptionField/ListField) to provide the value list the user can pick from.

Kind regards,
Bodo.

Bodo Bergmann
Engineering Architect | OpenROAD Engineering

Actian, A Division of HCLSoftware

GESELLSCHAFTSANGABEN: Actian Germany GmbH | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Halenreie 42, 22359 Hamburg | Geschäftsführung: Stephen Padgett, Marc Monahan | Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hamburg | HRB 135991 | USt-IdNr: DE252449897

Quinn Rayen

Apr 27, 2023, 4:57:40 AM4/27/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Adrian and Bodo

Regards

Quinn Rayen TECHNICAL LEAD
Cookers Bulk Oil System Pty Ltd.
Level 6, Access Tower 1,
278 Union Place, Colombo - 02, Sri Lanka
P: 03 9975 7913 F: 1300 88 33 99
E:
qu...@cookers.com.au
www.cookers.com.au

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

Paul White

May 5, 2023, 3:56:51 AM5/5/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Quinn,

Here is a link to a generic procedure developed by Gary Hansford.  It was designed for a customer lookup tool for support staff to locate a customer among 6 million entries in the database.

[Openroad-users] Emulating a database combo lookup in OpenRoad

https://groups.google.com/g/openroad-users/c/ry7EeG5EEkE/m/pQ8aSZpFwToJ

I also have some examples which lookup to a tablefield and reposition the highlight based on the entry in a filter column.   If these sound useful, please send me a message direct.

Cheers

Paul
&

Paul White

May 5, 2023, 4:09:24 AM5/5/23
to openroa...@googlegroups.com

And these might give you some ideas:

On KeyPress Event forcing a On SetValue Event

https://communities.actian.com/s/question/0D53300003w7GiQCAU/on-keypress-event-forcing-a-on-setvalue-event

Switching FocusField after a required number of characters have been entered

https://communities.actian.com/s/question/0D53300003vgZ0OCAU/switching-focusfield-after-a-required-number-of-characters-have-been-entered

Paul
&

--