Failed to initialize Lua VM

Eric Oliver

Jun 26, 2018, 12:31:58 PM6/26/18
to openresty-en
Hello,

I'm struggling to use Openresty as a reverse-proxy with client certificates and CRL checking.  On service start up it will quickly crash and only write "Failed to initialize Lua VM" in error.log and a similar message appears in journalctl -xe. If I comment out the line for "ssl_crl" the service starts promptly without problems.  Google searches for the error don't return a lot of relevant hits but they do point to a memory allocation issue with LuaJIT VM.  The CRL I'm using is about 300 MB, and when the service starts up it tries to allocate about 30% of system RAM, about between 2-3 GB.

I'm using Openresty's provided official pre-built packages for Centos 7. How am I supposed to work around this? It strongly looks like there is a memory allocation issue. It's frustrating that a CRL of this size would render the webserver useless.

Thanks for your time.