SSL Client Hello Unrecognized Custom Extensions

Jordi Escudero

Nov 25, 2022, 6:41:35 AM11/25/22
to openresty-en
Hello,
I am trying to use custom extensions for the clienthello message with the "ngx.ssl.clienthello" module but I find that the Openssl library it uses internally limits unrecognized extensions.

Is there an example of using a custom extension for this module? Currently it uses the extension 0 which is the name of the server and this has no limitations.

Any hint on this topic would be appreciated :D
Thank you

Junlong li

Nov 25, 2022, 11:31:03 PM11/25/22
to openresty-en
I think it is better to show the code you have tried now.

Can you get the ext by get_client_hello_ext ?

Jordi Escudero

Nov 29, 2022, 10:41:41 AM11/29/22
to openresty-en
Hello,
the problem is using an extension that is not registered and it seems to me that the openssl library is filtering it...

Maybe is necessary to register the extension on the server side ... I'm using this example but with openresty as a server.

Regards

solomon

Nov 29, 2022, 12:38:42 PM11/29/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Is the client actually sending the custom extension? `get_client_hello_ext` only gets the raw data of the specified extension if it is present.
To add a custom extension on the client side, you may need to use `SSL_CTX_add_custom_extif the client uses OpenSSL as well.
For detail about this API, please refer to the official doc. https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.1/man3/SSL_CTX_add_custom_ext.html

Jordi Escudero <jordi.e...@gmail.com> 于2022年11月29日周二 23:41写道: