Linux systems and kernels that OpenResty XRay can support

Aisse Tejas

Jan 31, 2024, 6:13:22 PMJan 31
to openresty-en
Hi folks!

A netizen inquired about the oldest Linux systems and kernels that the OpenResty XRay dynamic tracing platform can support. Our platform can support systems as old as CentOS/RHEL 6, used with the CentOS/RHEL 7's 3.10 kernels. The 2.6 kernels are just too old to support.

For Ubuntu, the oldest supported version is 16.04, and for Debian, it's version 9. We can also support even older versions like Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian 8 if necessary.

In contrast, the open-source eBPF toolchain usually has much higher kernel requirements, severely limiting its practicality in many enterprises.