can't create a working .deb after compiling openresty from source

reflection_probe

Apr 21, 2022, 7:51:25 AM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
trying to compile openresty from source to enable some features that are
left out of the mainstream distribution, but I'm having some issues.

had to resort to using checkinstall to make the .deb, since the process
of installing openresty as a package seems to be entirely undocumented
(this is probably my issue). was able to make a package, but
/etc/openresty does not exist and systemctl start openresty does not work:

Failed to start openresty.service: Unit openresty.service not found.

still need functionality that can only be enabled at compile-time, but
checkinstall is clearly not the right way to make an openresty package.

what should I do? replace files of the existing openresty .deb? activate
some hidden Ubuntu-specific build process that I don't know about?

thanks,
reflection_probe

(if google groups places this as a reply to another post of mine, I'm
going to personally send them a very angry email.)

Igor Clark

Apr 21, 2022, 8:37:30 AM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
Hello. You probably have to make those config files and directories yourself and build it in to the deb with a script somewhere.

To set up the basics of all that stuff in the past I’ve used the existing ‘nginx-common’ package as a dependency for my openresty deb, and relied on the Debian nginx config/boot setup as a starting point for that.

I’ve also found https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm helpful in making a .deb package, as it glosses over some of the finer details for you - and I have a (fairly brittle) script for building one from scratch with openresty at https://github.com/igorclark/vagrant-builds/blob/master/debian/openresty+realtime-extras/bootstrap-scripts/install-openresty+realtime-extras which might give you a few pointers. I haven’t updated it for a while so there may be tweaks needed - and it still uses the old pcre.org download URL which doesn’t work any more - but I have a version lying around somewhere which uses the newer sourceforge URL, I’ll try to remember to update it later.

Overall though that “fpm” package is super helpful for deb files, and you might see some stuff in my hacky installer script (esp about the docs stuff) that gives you the odd clue. HTH.

Cheers
Igor

On 21 Apr 2022, at 12:51, reflection_probe <p...@aaathats3as.com> wrote:

trying to compile openresty from source to enable some features that are left out of the mainstream distribution, but I'm having some issues.

reflection_probe

Apr 21, 2022, 8:39:26 AM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
wow, is it really that involved? thought there'd at least be a simple
build process that the official binaries use or something. is that all
private/undocumented?

Igor Clark

Apr 21, 2022, 8:44:56 AM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
There may well be but I don’t know where if so.

You might want to join the new openresty slack group, it’s been more recently opened and I think you might find a few more “official” OR people hanging out there than here. The mailing list has been quite quiet recently. I made a Slack invite in case you want to have a go there:

https://join.slack.com/t/openresty-community/shared_invite/zt-17jehfrkg-3~HyIrFLN2Z0KH7tL_sJxQ

Cheers
Igor

> On 21 Apr 2022, at 13:39, reflection_probe <p...@aaathats3as.com> wrote:
>
> wow, is it really that involved? thought there'd at least be a simple build process that the official binaries use or something. is that all private/undocumented?

reflection_probe

Apr 21, 2022, 8:47:48 AM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
can't sign up for slack - they don't like my email address. I was also
recently blocked from github as well for this email address. this is a
funny catch-22, because I'm trying to enable mail support in openresty.

could you ask on my behalf, and reply here if you get results?

thanks.

Junlong li

Apr 21, 2022, 11:11:29 AM4/21/22
to openresty-en

reflection_probe

Apr 21, 2022, 12:02:27 PM4/21/22
to openre...@googlegroups.com
thank you! I'll make sure to check it out soon.