It takes too long to get the reconciliation result

Lan Li

Feb 22, 2021, 7:41:23 AM2/22/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to run reconciliation on OpenRefine, but after almost 12 hours, it cannot return me the result for 203 terms.

Is there any limitation to this transformation? Or is there any preparation required before doing this transformation?
image.png

Thanks!
Lan

Owen Stephens

Feb 22, 2021, 8:38:16 AM2/22/21
to OpenRefine
Hi Lan,

This definitely sounds like something is going wrong somewhere. While the reconciliation process can take some time, I wouldn't expect it to take 12 hours for 203 terms. Can you share some more information to help us understand what is happening

What version of OpenRefine are you using?
What Reconciliation service are you using?
Is there any information you can share from the console / terminal window (on Windows and Linux you'll have the terminal open whenever you run OpenRefine, but if you are running OpenRefine on Mac you'll need to follow the "run OpenRefine using Terminal" instructions at https://docs.openrefine.org/manual/running)

That might help us understand what is going on here

Best wishes

Owen

Lan Li

Feb 22, 2021, 9:37:25 AM2/22/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Owen!

1. I am using OpenRefine 3.4.1 version
image.png

2. I am using start reconciliation > Wikipedia
image.png
image.png

3. I attach the dataset I am using
4.  I attach the error message when I run from the terminal [ I use macos ]

Thanks again!
Lan

error_return.txt
ppp_dataset_part1-csv.csv

Owen Stephens

Feb 22, 2021, 12:19:17 PM2/22/21
to OpenRefine
Thanks for the additional information Lan

I'm able to get that list of places successfully reconciled using OpenRefine 3.4.1 on macOS (High Sierra 10.13.6)

From your original screenshot it looks like the process stalled before the reconciliation even started? Did you ever get to click "Start Reconciling"?
Potentially there could be a problem with a local proxy or firewall that's stopping OpenRefine communicating with the reconciliation service in the first place - are you working in a situation where that might be the case?

Best wishes

Owen

Lan Li

Feb 22, 2021, 12:45:03 PM2/22/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you much for the help, Owen! I think I met with the situation mentioned  by you: "Potentially there could be a problem with a local proxy or firewall that's stopping OpenRefine communicating with the reconciliation service in the first place - are you working in a situation where that might be the case?"

I shut down the VPN, then it works.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best,
Lan